PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of 10.04 -> 13.04

Duncan J Murray
October 5th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I'm currently running 13.04 off a usb stick to give unity another go!

Definitely some improvements since I last used it - it's a lot slicker, and the dash comes up nice and quick. Search seems quicker, too.

Hit some problems already, and I'd be grateful for some workarounds if any of you guys have had the same problem:

1. I can't focus an application by dragging a file onto it's launcher.
Eg - if I have nautilus open full screen, and gimp open on the same workspace, I can't drag a file from the open folder to the gimp launcher, get focus on gimp, and then drop it where I want.

2. I can't focus a workspace by dragging files to the workspace switcher or edge of the screen.

3. What have gnome done to nautlilus? They are idiots! I don't think I could live without split screen view, and I don't understand the point of moving everything off the menu onto a stupid button on the opposite side. Has anyone used the nautilus fork by mate? Does it integrate ok with unity - i.e. has a proper launcher with the right-click options? Does it's menu work properly?

I'm keen to get unity to work for me - I like the idea of the hud, and the lenses, too. I also like the overall pleasant appearance. If these problems can't be fixed, do you know where I could suggest they be implemented?

D

ibjsb4
October 5th, 2013, 01:25 PM

12.04 still has split screen.

grahammechanical
October 5th, 2013, 03:24 PM
The icon on the Launcher is just an icon for launching the application. The file cannot be inserted into the application until the application is up and running. You cannot get focus on an application that is not running. The same reasoning applies to your desired use of the workplace switcher. These icons are coded to do certain things. They are not coded to do what you want them to do.

We can manipulate the workspace switcher by the mouse or keyboard shortcuts. Tell, me, could you do any of these things in Ubuntu 10.04?

What you want would be classed as "wish list" by developers and the developers would ignore wish list bug reports for more than one reason. If it is already part of their "to do list" they can ignore it. If it is impossible to implement or too difficult to implement, they will ignore it. If they do not want to do it, they will ignore it. After all, they have the freedom to use their time in the way they want, do they not?

There used to be a Ubuntu web site called Brainstorm, where ideas could be put forward and voted on as to desirableness. That site has been closed down and here is the reasoning behind the decision.

http://www.jonobacon.org/?s=Brainstorm&Submit.x=13&Submit.y=15&Submit=Go

Regards.

Duncan J Murray
October 5th, 2013, 07:26 PM
ibjsb4 - I found 12.04 too slow when I last tried it. Maybe the faster unity has been backported to it?

grahammechanical - yes, ubuntu 10.04 can do all these things - that's why I'm still using it! I should have clarified - the application is already running, and has a button on the workspace switcher (which in 10.04/G2 is on the bottom panel). Being able to switch focus to an (open) application by hovering over it with a file has been a feature of windows since at least 98, and certainly Gnome 2 as well (OS X as well?), I think it's bizarre the features is missing in unity. Of course what windows couldn't do was have different workspaces - and G2 goes one up by being able to switch workspaces while hovering a file over the workspace switcher.

I find these features really useful to my workflow - but it seems like no-one else does! Except for maybe the MATE team.