PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the 'Deskbar' often

Derek Djons
July 17th, 2006, 11:19 PM
After the gnome-terminal I find this the 2nd handiest tool Ubuntu Linux has build in. I use it to (... duh!) search for files but also launch applications and url's.

nalmeth
July 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM
When I use gnome I always use it. It's sweet

reacocard
July 17th, 2006, 11:42 PM
one of the best tools ever. always the first new thing on my panel after a reinstall.

ComplexNumber
July 17th, 2006, 11:42 PM
i've just this minute installed it :mrgreen:. i'll try it out and see if it is for me. looks like it could be very useful indeed.

nalmeth
July 17th, 2006, 11:45 PM
i've just this minute installed it :mrgreen:. i'll try it out and see if it is for me. looks like it could be very useful indeed.
You'll need to install beagle too to get the full use

ComplexNumber
July 17th, 2006, 11:52 PM
You'll need to install beagle too to get the full use
yup, already got it (ie beagle, libbeagle, libbeagle-devel). there are quite a few plugins available, i've noticed. here's a screenshot for those that may want to see what deskbar applet looks like when installed:

Skia_42
July 18th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks for posting a pic, I'm installing it right now...

Harold P
July 18th, 2006, 01:45 AM
You guys might find Alt+F3 handy.

lazyd2
July 18th, 2006, 01:58 AM
You guys might find Alt+F3 handy.Thanks for the tip.

Wolki
July 18th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Voted yes, though that's not really true. I really like deskbar, but I don't use it that often. I have keyboard shortcuts for opening Epiphany and terminals (plus run command), so i can search the web and do commands with them, and I find that i rarely use Beagle (why search for stuff when i can just go where it is?)

It is quite useful occasionally, like when I do want to beagle something, or do a dictionary lookup for something that isn't in Epiphany.

jimrz
July 18th, 2006, 03:10 AM
After the gnome-terminal I find this the 2nd handiest tool Ubuntu Linux has build in. I use it to (... duh!) search for files but also launch applications and url's.

At first not so much...took a while to get around to playing with it...after that did not take long at all to come to the same opinion...love it

gurgle
July 18th, 2006, 04:28 AM
im a noob. how can i change the keyboard shortcut? i tried <Ctrl>spacebar but it didnt work :(

reacocard
July 18th, 2006, 04:34 AM
that would be <Ctrl>space

Adamant1988
July 18th, 2006, 05:30 AM
I love beagle and I use the deskbar constantly looking for files through beagle.

Derek Djons
July 18th, 2006, 07:24 AM
You guys might find Alt+F3 handy.

Thanks for the tip!

Derek Djons
July 18th, 2006, 07:28 AM
If you ask me the outcome of the poll is very surprising. When making this poll I really thought people used the Deskbar. But a lot of people don't use it quite some people haven't even heared about it.

In my opinion it's because this feature isn't being promoted as much as other features.

GuitarHero
July 18th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I hadn't heard of it, but now I like it. Similiar to the google bar in firefox, that's what I use it for most.

jordilin
July 18th, 2006, 07:35 AM
It's a nice app, but at this very moment I prefer a gnome-terminal to launch things ;-)

swamytk
July 18th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I too find it useful, but only concern is its memory consumption.

3rdalbum
July 18th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I use it as a replacement for the Mini-Commander in earlier versions of Gnome, i.e. "skype" -> Launch Skype (skype)

FISHERMAN
July 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I voted no, because I've never really tried it.
But after trying it out, it seems a very handy program.:D
So I might keep it.

ComplexNumber
July 18th, 2006, 11:06 AM
If you ask me the outcome of the poll is very surprising. When making this poll I really thought people used the Deskbar. But a lot of people don't use it quite some people haven't even heared about it.

In my opinion it's because this feature isn't being promoted as much as other features.
before i first read this thread, i hadn't really heard of it, but i installed it to check it out. although i haven't voted yet, i will give myself time to become accustomed to it before making judgement.
i think the poll is probably misleading because many people who haven't heard of it are going to vote for "No - smells funny"....yet those people are not in a position to judge. nobody has said in this thread that they've used it but they don't like it, so it curious that 19 people voted for that option.

RAV TUX
July 19th, 2006, 06:26 AM
so I was just installing Beagle and deskbar-applet:

sudo aptitude install beagle deskbar-applet

and I made a silly typo I typed unstall instead of install

and it appears my aptitude doesn't have super cow powers;)

Unknown command "unstall"
aptitude 0.4.0
Usage: aptitude [-S fname] [-u|-i]
aptitude [options] <action> ...
Actions (if none is specified, aptitude will enter interactive mode):

install - Install/upgrade packages
remove - Remove packages
purge - Remove packages and their configuration files
hold - Place packages on hold
unhold - Cancel a hold command for a package
markauto - Mark packages as having been automatically installed
unmarkauto - Mark packages as having been manually installed
forbid-version - Forbid aptitude from upgrading to a specific package version.
update - Download lists of new/upgradable packages
upgrade - Perform a safe upgrade
dist-upgrade - Perform an upgrade, possibly installing and removing packages
forget-new - Forget what packages are "new"
search - Search for a package by name and/or expression
show - Display detailed information about a package
clean - Erase downloaded package files
autoclean - Erase old downloaded package files
changelog - View a package's changelog
download - Download the .deb file for a package
reinstall - Download and (possibly) reinstall a currently installed package

Options:
-h This help text
-s Simulate actions, but do not actually perform them.
-d Only download packages, do not install or remove anything.
-P Always prompt for confirmation or actions
-y Assume that the answer to simple yes/no questions is 'yes'
-F format Specify a format for displaying search results; see the manual
-O order Specify how search results should be sorted; see the manual
-w width Specify the display width for formatting search results
-f Aggressively try to fix broken packages.
-V Show which versions of packages are to be installed.
-D Show the dependencies of automatically changed packages.
-Z Show the change in installed size of each package.
-v Display extra information. (may be supplied multiple times)
-t [release] Set the release from which packages should be installed
-q In command-line mode, suppress the incremental progress indicators.
-o key=val Directly set the configuration option named 'key'
--with(out)-recommends Specify whether or not to treat recommends as
strong dependencies
-S fname: Read the aptitude extended status info from fname.
-u : Download new package lists on startup.
-i : Perform an install run on startup.

This aptitude does not have Super Cow Powers.

but now I have this lovely list of command prompts to reference;)

I retyped the command correctly and I am now installing Beagle and deskbar-applet:D

RAV TUX
July 19th, 2006, 06:31 AM
so I was just installing Beagle and deskbar-applet:

and I made a silly typo I typed unstall instead of install

and it appears my aptitude doesn't have super cow powers;)

but now I have this lovely list of command prompts to reference;)

I retyped the command correctly and I am now installing Beagle and deskbar-applet:D

but now I am having trouble starting Beagle

beagled
doesn't work when I type in the terminal

Derek Djons
July 19th, 2006, 09:25 AM
but now I am having trouble starting Beagle

doesn't work when I type in the terminal

Correct me if I'm wrong but I also get errors typing 'beagled' in my terminal. Since Beagle options and preferences are under:

System -> Preferences -> Search & Indexing

I think the error is normal. You can start the application using the menu and edit it's preferences in a GUI enviroment. To add the Deskbar you have to right-click on a empty space of your menubar and select 'add to panel. The Deskbar can be found in the list which will appear.:-|

fluffington
July 19th, 2006, 09:46 AM
No deskbar for me; I know where all of my stuff is.

arsenic23
July 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Too much bloat; I hate it.

I really like the command line bar that was included in the version of Gnome that came with Breezy, I used it all the time, mostly for opening programs. I mean, who needs menus when you can just go up to your bar and type in the name of the program you want?

Upon installing Dapper, I added the Deskbar to the same location I'd had its predicesor placed, and left if there for a while. But I found that it often needed a few extra prods to execute a terminal command instead of searching for something. I've never understood the need to search for files. In windows I always knew where everything was, wether it be a *.dll in the system32 directory or a saved Photoshop tool setting within My Documents. I'm begining to get this way with Linux ( Ubuntu mostly ), and have only missplaced a file once ( my ftp log :).

I just don't like that Deskbar has more memory use then Opera most of the time on my system when I'd only be using it as a baby terminal. Also I originally didn't know you could ad '&' to the end of a terminal command to run it in the background. I originally thought that I had to open new terminal tabs for each program you wanted to run..... oh my, I'm ranting again....

Back to work !

jayemef
July 19th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I like the concept behind deskbar, but don't find that I use it very often (most of the time I just don't think to) -- at least not right now, as I don't have any school work to keep myself busy. I guess I'll have to see how it goes once school starts back up.

I will say though that I am very well organized and know where all my personal files are located, and thus have not gotten into the habit of using beagle to instantly find stuff. However, even though I know where everything is, I think that that invisible layer could actually be quite nice. I'll see if I can force myself to use it for a while and see how it goes.

Wolki
July 19th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Upon installing Dapper, I added the Deskbar to the same location I'd had its predicesor placed, and left if there for a while. But I found that it often needed a few extra prods to execute a terminal command instead of searching for something.

Try disabling the search handlers in "Properties", this should make it work faster as a commander and might drop RAM use.

arsenic23
July 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Try disabling the search handlers in "Properties", this should make it work faster as a commander and might drop RAM use.
It was the first thing I did. Didn't help much. Though I should say I don't really need to worry about the memory it uses, I just don't like to load things that don't work 100% the way I need/want them too.

dbbolton
December 22nd, 2006, 02:37 PM
i've been debating whether it is a waste of memory or not.

on edgy, it constantly crashes for me, so in that case i deleted it from the panel.

Mateo
January 20th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I don't like it. Too much memory. 20+mb for something i'll use sparingly!? i don't want a background task using that much memory.

Please bring back the mini commander! I'm not saying get rid of deskbar, some people like it, just bring back mini-commander. you don't even need to add any features, it's fine as it is, just please maintain it so it will compile with the latest versions of everything. that's all we ask!