PDA

View Full Version : New to Linux and DE. Just installed Gnome Shell with some questions.

ddubbz1979
October 2nd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Through some advice from another post I installed Gnome Shell so I would have something else to play around with. Haven't got into customizing or configuring anything much yet but Unity looks like there's not many options compared to others. I am interested in trying out the spinning cube effect and saw the sticky on it. However, I have 13.04 and now the new Gnome Shell. Can I follow the sticky instructions and be successful or has something changed from that for the new versions? Also open to any and all suggestions on upgrading and customizing my experience with Unity or Gnome Shell if anyone has anything to share. Tried Google for ideas but I know this is where I need to be. I really just don't know where to begin. Thanks in advance. Can't wait to learn something new.

Frogs Hair
October 2nd, 2013, 11:57 PM
The Gnome Shell uses the Mutter window manager and not Compiz so the effects won't work in the shell. The cube should work as advertised in the sticky in Unity.

https://extensions.gnome.org/
http://gnome-look.org/?xsection=home

ddubbz1979
October 3rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
Thanks. I'll check out that sticky for Unity then.

buzzingrobot
October 3rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
If you haven't, install "Gnome Tweak Tool" to adjust some features of Gnome Shell that initially appear to be unadjustable.

Visit extensions.gnome.org to see what extensions you might want to use. If you want to change the theme, you need "User Themes" from there. This enables theme switching, it doesn't add any themes. Actual switching once new themes are installed is via the Tweak Tool.

ddubbz1979
October 4th, 2013, 03:27 AM
Thanks, I just installed the Tweak Tool. Can't wait to check it out. Still new and not set on Unity or Gnome yet for me. Leaning Unity, but I've read some great reviews on Gnome.

mkmanifesto
October 4th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Xfce is pretty good if you really want to go with a more traditional style desktop. I personally didn't prefer Unity for a while, but now I really enjoy it. Also I've had much better experience using the different desktop environments by downloading the the specific distro built on whatever environment I'm looking for.

I've always ran into problems when installing multiple desktop environments over one another for some reason, and I believe I read its not the recommended thing to do. I'm fairly new, so I'm probably wrong in that regard.