PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Hotkey in VLC with LibreOffice open

sean24
October 2nd, 2013, 03:26 AM
Hello,

I have one little problem for my trial to get a job as a transcriber. I've got three days find a solution to this problem !

I have an audio file to transcribe. I am playing it in VLC and using LibreOffice for the transcription. Because speed is one of the goals in processing the document, I need to use hotkeys in VLC (pause/play, rewind, etc). I have activated the hotkeys I need in VLC, but they only work when the VLC window is focused on. What I need is to have these hotkeys usable while typing in LibreOffice.

I know there is Express Scribe for linux, I have it installed but it is very buggy (the audio controls just don't work properly). Also I don't fancy buying a pedal when I can use the num pad on my keyboard.

If anybody has a solution to my problem, I would be very grateful for helping me get the job.

Sean

Isamu715
October 2nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
In VLC hotkey settings there is a "Global" column, try setting your hotkeys in there instead of the "Hotkey" one.

vasa1
October 2nd, 2013, 01:11 PM
I have one little problem ... I have activated the hotkeys I need in VLC, but they only work when the VLC window is focused on. What I need is to have these hotkeys usable while typing in LibreOffice.

Just in case the solution is dependent on the desktop environment, it may help to provide details of your exact OS and whether you're using Unity or KDE or LXDE or XFCE, or something else.

sean24
October 2nd, 2013, 11:58 PM
Thank you for your replies. I have figured out why they weren't working. It seems that I was trying with the numbers on the numpad and they were probably conflicting with Libreoffice shortcut keys. When I changed them to the PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN keys for example, and restarting VLC, it worked out for me.

I was using Linux Lite, XFCE

Sean