PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading to 13.10 and replacing DeepIn

jimfl
October 1st, 2013, 05:11 AM
I recently installed DeepIn and don't like it. Can't figure out how to remove it. (No, there is no option to choose 13.04 as opposed to DeepIn on bootup--not on my screen, anyway.)

What I want to know is when I upgrade to 13.10 will that automatically replace DeepIn or will I still be stuck with it?

Thanks,
Jim

Frogs Hair
October 1st, 2013, 07:28 PM
Could you provide some information about how you installed Deepin ? It appears to be a different distribution , but I don't know if you installed it as a desktop environment. It may not be the best idea to upgrade with it installed especially if you can't access the Ubuntu desktop. You could wait until 13.10 is released backup your files and do a clean installation .

jimfl
October 1st, 2013, 10:08 PM
I followed the instructions on this Webpage: http://www.maketecheasier.com/install-linux-deepin-desktop-on-ubuntu/2013/07/02?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=02072013

The main one being:

sudo apt-get install dde-meta-core

So it is installed as my desktop environment. I'm REALLY hoping there's a way other than a clean install because the last time I did that it took a real long time to get everything tweaked back to the way I had it before the install.

Frogs Hair
October 2nd, 2013, 11:50 PM
You could simply do the reverse of what was installed and remove the software source from software & updates > other software. Backup first in-case of problems. I don't like that you can't access Ubuntu from the login selection . I think 13.10 comes with Gnome 3.8 so any tweaking may be overwritten during the upgrade.

sudo apt-get remove package-name

jimfl
October 8th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Frog's Hair, I really appreciate your help.

I tried your suggestion of
by using
sudo apt-get remove package-dde-meta-core

After rebooting, the change didn't seem to have any effect.

I went to Software and Updates and found two pertinent tabs. On the first, Linux Deepin Software, I unchecked "Deepin-supported Open Source Software." I left the other options checked (Software restricted by copyright, Community maintained free and Open Source software, and Source Code--this last one had a dash rather than a check mark beside it).

Clicking on the Other Software tab, I couldn't find the Deepin choices to deselect. I'm attaching two screenshots of the choices available to me in the hope that you can find what needs to be unchecked.

mauro-rossi
October 18th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Hi, I had problems too after installing Deepin Desktop Environment on ubuntu 13.04, very bad problems.

DDE messed up with software distribution packages of Ubuntu I had to perform all these tasks:

- uninstalling packages having deepin in the full description of packages
- removing deepin sources from /etc/apt/sources.list
- search for deepin references in /var/lib/dpkg/status and remove + reinstall them

Important - change back the Debian /etc/issue file...

sudo nano /etc/issue

...from 'Linuxdeepin /n /l' to 'Ubuntu 13.04 /n /l' ( CTRL+O to write CTRL+X to exit)

Now to the lsb-release...

sudo nano /etc/lsb-release

...that should look like:

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=13.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=raring
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 13.04"

Because of changed dependencies, I also extracted the packages list (using sudo dpkg) from a brand new Ubuntu 13.04 installation and reinstalled (--reinstall option) all packages

[on a different installation]

sudo dpkg --get-selections > packages.txt[on the Deepin DE "sick system", it will take a long time]

cat packages.txt | grep install | awk '{system ("sudo apt-get install -y --reinstall " $1)}'

Mauro

Frogs Hair
October 18th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Frog's Hair, I really appreciate your help.

I tried your suggestion of
by using
sudo apt-get remove package-dde-meta-core

After rebooting, the change didn't seem to have any effect.

I went to Software and Updates and found two pertinent tabs. On the first, Linux Deepin Software, I unchecked "Deepin-supported Open Source Software." I left the other options checked (Software restricted by copyright, Community maintained free and Open Source software, and Source Code--this last one had a dash rather than a check mark beside it).

Clicking on the Other Software tab, I couldn't find the Deepin choices to deselect. I'm attaching two screenshots of the choices available to me in the hope that you can find what needs to be unchecked.

If you followed the suggestion to backup then I would save yourself a headache and do a clean installation of 13.10.