PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 13.04 Gnome-terminal profiles are schizo

wamorita2
September 29th, 2013, 12:23 AM
I use ssh <host> -Y /usr/bin/gnome-terminal to remote into my Ubuntu 13.04 box.
I initially setup two profiles, the default and a root profile.
I later decided to import profiles from a previous Linux install.
Renaming the original .gconf/apps/gnome-terminal, I put in place the dir tree from the older Linux.
I went to the renamed dir gnome-terminal.orig only to find that I could not locate my original two profiles.

Now if after opening a gnome-terminal remotely I get two outcomes.

If I immediately open a new tab or terminal, I only see the original two profiles.
If I go to edit/profile I see my imported profiles. Now the selection for a new tab or window shows the imported profiles.

That's the schizo thing. Two different behaviors

Why can't I find the original profiles where they should have been???
Is this an Ubuntu-izm ?
Where are they kept ?

papibe
September 29th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Hi wamorita2. Welcome to the forum ):P

A few thoughts.

The common practice to ssh remotely into a machine is to use the local terminal and run something like:

ssh user@remotemachine
That way your connection will be as fast as possible, since you'll be transferring only text.

When you use X forwarding to open a remote window, there's a lot more that is being transfer, which in case of another GUI application may make sense, but IMHO, I don't see the benefit of doing it for a gnome-terminal.

Besides, profiles can be set locally and will also be valid for a remote connection.

Does that help? Let us know if we can offer more help.
Regards.

wamorita2
September 29th, 2013, 01:39 AM
I asked 3 specific questions.
* Why can't I find the original profiles where they should have been???
* Is this an Ubuntu-izm ?
* Where are they kept ?

Even though I can get around this issue using your suggestion, I still want these questions answered.
Please forward this query to the appropriate person.

Thanks

PJs Ronin
September 29th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Even though I can get around this issue using your suggestion, I still want these questions answered.
Please forward this query to the appropriate person.

Thanks

There is no 'specific person' on this forum. Everyone helps out anyone when/where they can.