PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need to upgrade but it keeps failing, free/cheap disk of newest version available?

secuono
September 28th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I am trying to upgrade to 10.04.3 LTS and I currently have have 8.04.
Every time I try to upgrade, it eventually fails, black screen, all messed up and I have to reinstall a much older version I have on CD from years ago and start all over!!

I cannot make a usb/cd or anything else, so is there a cheap or free cd of the newest version I can buy/get to install from??
Please help!!!

Also, I'm in the USA not Europe, can't find a way to buy a cd here...

whitesmith
September 28th, 2013, 10:04 PM
The version you mention is no longer supported. You can buy a 12.04 LTS CD from Canonical by visiting this page: http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=976 Check system requirements before buying. According to Canonical, "To use Ubuntu, you should have a PC with at least 256 MB of RAM. And to install it, you should have at least 4 GB of disk space." Most software vendors understate such things, so give yourself a bit of headroom. Nothing worse than an overpriced coaster!

Bashing-om
September 28th, 2013, 10:26 PM
secuono; Hi !

+1 to whitesmith's last. However, there are means to upgrade an end of life version online. Be advised it will be heavily fraught with the PROBABILITY of errors with all the changes that ubuntu has undergone in the past years ... and will take hours and hours to do so. The process is from one version to the next version to the next version...8.04 to current 13.04 is 10 versions.

IF you are really intent on attempting this course; the documentation:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

you will need more than luck

my best wishes

mörgæs
September 28th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Please begin with a complete hardware description.

secuono
September 28th, 2013, 11:13 PM
OK, the issue I have with the CD/USB is that I only have 700 MB disks but the file needs 707 MB!! Is there a way to shave off something for it to fit?I don't want to buy more disks I'll never use! They only sell in 20 packs and I wasn't able to find anything larger than 700!

No idea what this laptop is anymore, it's not windows, so it doesn't tell me what is on here like windows did. New hard drive, 80g if not more.

secuono
September 28th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Found out CDs aren't good enough anymore...ughhh
I have a verbatim dvd+r 16x lightscribe
and a tevion dvd+r 4.7gb

My laptop is not recognizing them, only recognizes the cd-r
Its a Gateway, 5 years or a bit older. How do I find out what it can burn??

secuono
September 28th, 2013, 11:36 PM
The version you mention is no longer supported. You can buy a 12.04 LTS CD from Canonical by visiting this page: http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=976 Check system requirements before buying. According to Canonical, "To use Ubuntu, you should have a PC with at least 256 MB of RAM. And to install it, you should have at least 4 GB of disk space." Most software vendors understate such things, so give yourself a bit of headroom. Nothing worse than an overpriced coaster!

That link is for European buyers, at least, the money symbol isn't Dollars and when I do click to check out, I have to sign up for some random weird thing and I will not do that...Isn't there anyone here in the USA that can burn me a disk, ship it to me and I can Paypal you some $ for it??

sudodus
September 28th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Do you have an idea of the age of the computer? 1, 3, 6 or 10 years old? The advice depends very much on your hardware.

You can't shave something off the iso file. That takes and expert. But you can select a flavour of Ubuntu with a correctly sized iso file, so that it can be burned to an ordinary CD disk. Lubuntu's iso files will work.

But before you start downloading, please give more information about the computer, so that we can help you select the flavour and version of Ubuntu.

Bashing-om
September 28th, 2013, 11:42 PM
secuono;

How about try'n this;
As we do not know what the specs are on your motherboard (CPU), ram or graphics card
and
you have CDs to burn to ...
How about doing the install with Lubuntu ? The Lubuntu install will fit onto a CD. Lubuntu runs remarkable well on lesser performing older hardware.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

Remember to check as you go along in the install procedure.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

a suggestion is better than nothing

sudodus
September 28th, 2013, 11:42 PM
By the way, if the computer is less than 10 years old, you should be able to boot from a USB pendrive. And that is actually quite convenient once you know how to do it. And you can reuse the pendrive for many purposes. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

secuono
September 28th, 2013, 11:55 PM
I don't have any USB sticks, they are too tiny and we loose them easily....

Is it possible to split the iso onto two cds?
What are the flavors? I just use regular ol' ubuntu and prefer to just stick with that...
I'll check out the other links, though.

It's 4-6yrs old, not 100% sure...
Is there a way to get the pc to tell me what is on here like WIndows is able to do?
I can only list what is visible on my laptop's case...lol. intel centrino duo, gatewaycx210x. I went with upgraded options when buying the laptop, no idea how to find out what it is now, as I've forgotten...

Downloading Lubuntu.

secuono
September 28th, 2013, 11:59 PM
OK, found something....Just copying and pasting...
Don't know if it helps any
Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub
Gateway 2000
Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller

2 GB ram, 1.86 GHZ, 500GB harddrive

secuono
September 29th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Also, this is a touchscreen convertible tablet with a pen. Is it possible to get these things working again in linux??

Thanks all!

sudodus
September 29th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Lubuntu is the most light-weight flavour in the Ubuntu family. Xubuntu is medium light. Standard Ubuntu with Unity and Kubuntu are heavy but they have a lot of eye-candy.

Make the download of Lubuntu complete! It will be a good choice even if you can probably run a heavier desktop environment in a 4-6 year old computer. And if you wish, you can install xubuntu-desktop into the installed Lubuntu and select desktop environment at the login screen.

Check the md5sum before burning the CD.

Do not start by installing. Instead try Lubuntu (run a live session booted from the CD) to find out how it works, and what you may need to do in order to get a good graphical desktop. This depends very much on your graphics chip. The wifi chip might also cause problems, and it is a great advantage to use a wired connection to the internet during the installation to be able to update the system.

secuono
September 29th, 2013, 12:46 AM
So I restarted and tried to start it to try it out and the screen goes black with an underscore blinking at the top left corner. Nothing else happens...

sudodus
September 29th, 2013, 08:08 AM
I think it is problems with the driver for your graphics chip. It could be something else too, I have too little information to know.

- Are you talking about the situation, when you boot from the CD? Or after installation?

- Do you get anything at all on the screen before it goes black? Any text or weird pattern?

If you get a menu (the syslinux menu or the grub menu), you can enter a boot option. There are several, start trying with nomodeset. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

secuono
September 29th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I put the cd in and a screen comes up with a list, try it out, test cd for issues, install. I click to try it out first and it goes black and the underscore shows up. That's all. Nothing weird flashes or anything.

Bashing-om
September 29th, 2013, 05:30 PM
secuono; Hi !

Just as an educated guess .. let's say the needed graphic's driver is not available at this time.
Let's try and load a lower level driver.
Try this and advise results:

Boot the liveCD;
At the purple splash screen (stick figure keyboard emblems at bottom of screen) -> hit any key ->
Language screen -> escape key to accept the default ->
Booting options screen -> f6 key (other options) -> arrow down to the preset option(s), in this instance try "nomodeset" -space or enter to accept and then the escape key to exit.
Enter key to continue the boot process to the GUI desk top;

Do you now boot to the desk top ? ,,,degraded graphics is OK at this point, can be fixed later.

just try'n to help

secuono
September 30th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Never seen a purple screen.
When I restart, it shows a list of languages with English already highlighted, I just click enter and it continues.
Don't think I've ever seen any stick figure keyboard emblems.
But I'll try pressing F6 when it gets to the choices list.

secuono
September 30th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Alright, that worked. It's very blue, nothing too fancy or weird. Graphics didn't look to of been affected.
I couldn't figure out how to get it to do wireless internet. What I have now found it on it's own and I just put in the right info. There was no wireless choice, just weird cellphone provider, ethernet and the such.
SO!
How do I get the internet to work and how do I get the installation to go smoothly, now that I know it has to be in nomodeset??

thanks!!

Bashing-om
September 30th, 2013, 12:40 AM
secuono; Hey,

What are you trying to boot ?
Alternate install, server install, minimal install, or the desktop install ? and what flavor ?
I expect the the distro makes a difference as to what is seen at the boot up.

But there will be a means to edit the boot parameters.

just try'n to help

secuono
September 30th, 2013, 12:45 AM
This is what I did, I downloaded the Lubuntu for regular desktop.
Trying to find out how to keep it working after the install, since the test only works when the nomodeset is selected. There's also a huge difference when trying to get the internet to work. This is my only pc, so need to figure out how to get it working before I'm stranded and have to downgrade just to come back here to get help...

secuono; Hi !

Just as an educated guess .. let's say the needed graphic's driver is not available at this time.
Let's try and load a lower level driver.
Try this and advise results:

Boot the liveCD;
At the purple splash screen (stick figure keyboard emblems at bottom of screen) -> hit any key ->
Language screen -> escape key to accept the default ->
Booting options screen -> f6 key (other options) -> arrow down to the preset option(s), in this instance try "nomodeset" -space or enter to accept and then the escape key to exit.
Enter key to continue the boot process to the GUI desk top;

Do you now boot to the desk top ? ,,,degraded graphics is OK at this point, can be fixed later.

just try'n to help

Bashing-om
September 30th, 2013, 01:48 AM
secuono;

As you are now able to boot up in the "try ubuntu" mode. Go ahead and play with ubuntu, make sure there are no additional problems.

If one has a liveCD, one is never stranded...

Have you done the actual install to hard disk ? Methods differ between liveCD and actual install to load needed drivers .

I need to know where you are at the present time .

ain't no step for a stepper

secuono
September 30th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Nothing is installed, just used the livecd and everything is in a blue theme, nothing looks hard or weird to learn, everything seems standard.

What should I mess around with?? I use image editing software and internet, sometimes openoffice, that's it. Watching videos never worked in any linux version I've tried, don't really care to watch them on my pc anyway. Things like videos online, fancy websites that use java and such, those don't work in my current version and more than likely won't work in the new one.

All I need to know is how to install lubuntu so that underscore issue doesn't come up and how to get wireless internet to work. Once those are done, I can worry about fixing sound and such, since I'll have the internet to find the answers.

Bashing-om
September 30th, 2013, 02:44 AM
secuono; OK !

Go ahead and install Lubuntu;
Do you have a wired connection to the net ?
We gotta have one !
On the initial install screen DO NOT check "install updates while installing, nor "install 3rd party software" ..we will take care of them later.I have always had problems installing onto older hardware if these options were checked. And do install with the "nomodeset" option. In the real install we will see about installing the needed graphics drivers.
Wireless is not an area of expertise so will have do be dealt with in another thread, if the drivers are not available when we update the install.

But we must have an internet connection prior to proceeding.

else we have no paddle on this creek

secuono
September 30th, 2013, 04:10 PM
When installing, will something come up to choose nomodeset? Do I choose that on the screen with all the choices?

Bashing-om
September 30th, 2013, 06:52 PM
secuono; Sorry for the delay.
Did not see your response timely.

Been a bit since I have installed Lubuntu .. best I recall is about same same on the install, as in booting.
Set "nomodeset" at the grub boot options screen, escape to revert to the install/try/ screen and choose install. The boot parameter will remain in effect. Once installed -> additional drivers utility will find and install the recommended driver(s) - IF you have a wired connection.

Do you have a wired connection ? Though it is possible to update and install drivers later it is a major pain to do so.

hope this helps

secuono
September 30th, 2013, 09:31 PM
That was a fast install!!

Ok, now how do I setup a wireless connection....I'll start a new thread.

thanks!!

mörgæs
September 30th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.

When you open a new one please begin with running

sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt

and posting lshw.txt in CODE tags.

secuono
September 30th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.

When you open a new one please begin with running

sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt

and posting lshw.txt in CODE tags.

Whaa??

What is sanitize?

secuono
September 30th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Also, I cannot copy anything in the terminal...so how do I get a copy to be posted on the other thread??

mörgæs
September 30th, 2013, 10:34 PM
It's always a good exercise to spend some time playing around with a command before asking more questions.

Bashing-om
September 30th, 2013, 10:37 PM
secuono;

For copying: try this:
Right click at the start of the text in the source, drag mouse to the end of the text;
in the target, just click the middle button on the mouse.
The text that was highlighted in the source should now be "copied" to the target.

There are also short cut keys that may work.

many ways to one end

secuono
September 30th, 2013, 10:59 PM
In "xterm/uxterm" right click doesn't work at all. Is there a way to get to a different command prompt?
I only want wireless internet to work! Then I can explore and wander around. But right now, I'm tied to a tiny 6ft cable and rather not sit on the floor as we have a puppy and he 'must' be with me all the time.

secuono
September 30th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Figured out how to get the net working!
thanks all!

Bashing-om
September 30th, 2013, 11:52 PM
secuono; Outstanding .. making great progress.

copy/paste: I use xterm and for me left click+drag copies to a "clipboard" and middle click on my mouse will paste that content.
alternately one may use ctl+sht-c to copy
ctl+shift -v to paste or maybe shift+insert to paste

Or maybe:
ctl+insert
shift+insert

somethings work, others just don't