PDA

View Full Version : Big Smartphones

mamamia88
September 27th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Big smartphones sound great in theory but, I actually think apple might be right about keeping the screensize down. No matter how big you go you are always going to be making compromises when using your phone because it has to fit in a pocket. My nexus 7 fits in my pocket but if i sit down i worry about the screen snapping in half. Sure the bigger the screen the better the browsing experience but it still won't be as good as on a laptop or tablet. Personally I think that the smartphone companines should focus on making apps that format the web content so that it works better on smaller screens rather than making the screens bigger to make the web content less crappy. Even with the biggest smartphone in the world it's still under the restriction of fitting in your pocket. What we want is a serviceable experience when out and about without dragging a fullsize laptop/tablet around with us. Personally for me I'd much rather have apps that do a few things I need well and either wait until I get home and watch video on my big tv, or if i knew i'd be on vacation for a week or so I'd make it a point to bring something that does the job better like a laptop or tablet. Am I crazy?

zer010
September 27th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I think you have a valid point. However, getting website coders to essentially make two versions of their websites is not gonna happen anytime soon. Because of the format issues of displaying websites in a smartdevice's browser, they have chosen to instead release apps for their website instead of having dual-format webpages. Personally, I don't like using an app to access a website's content because it bypasses whatever browser customizations I may have setup, not to mention the access the app has with my device.
It would be an uphill battle in changing the status quo, much in the same way that it has been about websites migrating to html5.

mamamia88
September 27th, 2013, 05:49 PM
They already do for the most part. At least with sites that anticipate a bunch of mobile traffic or it's easy enough to do ala amazon,facebook,wikipedia,etc. Personally for me i'd rather have an app for say facebook that is tailored to the screen size rather than just buying a phone with a big screen just to make web page look less crappy and deal with an occassional crappy webpage on smaller screen. After all its about convenience and once you start reaching screen sizes that you have to consider carrying a bag it loses it's appeal for men and for women who already carry a bag why not just get a nexus 7 with 3g and a flip phone?

PhoHammer
September 28th, 2013, 01:25 AM
I've always thought 3.7" was the perfect screen size. But there weren't that many devices with that size, the Nexus One was the only one I remember being interested in.

Kdar
September 28th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Before I bought Nexus 4, my only mobile device was iPod touch. And the bigger screen size of Nexus 4 took me a while to get used to, it was even making me feel like I am going to drop it, often forcing me to use two hands to use it or to type something. iPod touch (or iPhone which had same screen size) felt like it fit perfectly in my hand.

Android_63
September 28th, 2013, 04:11 AM
I personally like huge phones. Right now, my Samsung Infuse is 4.5 inches and I wouldn't mind getting one bigger. It eliminates the need to have a tablet and phone. I never carry my phone in my pocket, as I just hold it in my hand, so no big deal to me. The Samsung Mega is 6.5 inches and would be glorious to have one.

cariboo
September 28th, 2013, 04:37 AM
How do you do anything, if you've got your smartphone in your hand all the time. :-P I can think of several things you need two hands to do.

mamamia88
September 28th, 2013, 05:14 AM
I personally like huge phones. Right now, my Samsung Infuse is 4.5 inches and I wouldn't mind getting one bigger. It eliminates the need to have a tablet and phone. I never carry my phone in my pocket, as I just hold it in my hand, so no big deal to me. The Samsung Mega is 6.5 inches and would be glorious to have one.

No matter how big a smartphone get's though you're still limited to about the size of your pocket. Call me crazy but i'd rather have a smartphone that does the stuff that i don't need anything bigger for and in the rare case i need something bigger or have room for it bring a bigger device along. For example walking around town enjoying the day and listening to music and occasionally checking my email/tweets the iphone size is plenty. If i know i'm gonna be stuck on a plane for a long time I'll make it a point to pack something that does a better job of stuff i would want to do on a plane. It's all about picking the right tool for the job. I don't want a device that tries and make content tailored for bigger screens work on smaller screens by making the screen slightly bigger. I want a device that takes the content and makes it fit the smaller format. If i have to scroll left or right or zoom in on text to be able to read an article it's a fail in my book.

Gnawnsense
September 28th, 2013, 06:17 AM
I think you have a valid point. However, getting website coders to essentially make two versions of their websites is not gonna happen anytime soon. Because of the format issues of displaying websites in a smartdevice's browser, they have chosen to instead release apps for their website instead of having dual-format webpages. Personally, I don't like using an app to access a website's content because it bypasses whatever browser customizations I may have setup, not to mention the access the app has with my device.
It would be an uphill battle in changing the status quo, much in the same way that it has been about websites migrating to html5.

With how easy it is to make an extremely attractive and efficient responsive design, especially utilizing Bootstrap, I don't see the browsing experience really being a key factor to really drive individuals to want to increase their screen size for a more natural or intuitive experience. Other than the, "bigger is easier to click/read" argument I don't really see much of a benefit for scaling up on a phone. Especially since, in my experience, anything 3.5 inches and above is big enough to be easily readable and have enough real estate for even those of us with the sausage fingers.

The only benefit I see to the constant scaling up of size is the attempt to converge the concept of phones and tablets into one device, removing the need to have a smartphone and tablet device. However, that particular market has always seemed quite niche, as least in my perspective.

mJayk
September 28th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I agree with you I had a 4inch htc 8s and it was brilliant size wise. However just didn't cut it for me so recently switched to a htc one and whilst it is alot better it is still to big for me :). The problem is you go smaller and you seam to end up with terrible hardware.

mamamia88
September 28th, 2013, 03:37 PM
With how easy it is to make an extremely attractive and efficient responsive design, especially utilizing Bootstrap, I don't see the browsing experience really being a key factor to really drive individuals to want to increase their screen size for a more natural or intuitive experience. Other than the, "bigger is easier to click/read" argument I don't really see much of a benefit for scaling up on a phone. Especially since, in my experience, anything 3.5 inches and above is big enough to be easily readable and have enough real estate for even those of us with the sausage fingers.

The only benefit I see to the constant scaling up of size is the attempt to converge the concept of phones and tablets into one device, removing the need to have a smartphone and tablet device. However, that particular market has always seemed quite niche, as least in my perspective.

yeah apple seems to make a decent one at that size but everybody and their mother seems to have a cracked one. Am i crazy for actually considering buying nokia 520 windows phone that keeps going on sale to upgrade my desire hd? I'm done with big contracts and really only use my phone for basic stuff.

Paqman
September 28th, 2013, 05:08 PM
No matter how big a smartphone get's though you're still limited to about the size of your pocket.

Unless of course you're female and carry your phone in a handbag. Plenty of opportunity in the 50% of the market that isn't limited by the size of their pockets, as sales of Samsung's great big Note phones shows.

Copper Bezel
September 28th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I still don't have a smart phone of any kind, but I got the Nexus 7 tablet on release after lusting over the Asus MeMo that never got a proper release in the US. The smartphone I still really want is the MeMo - a Nexus 7 with a bluetooth headset. I carry a bag everywhere I go, and I holding a computer to my ear seems slightly daft. I also use earbuds with a mic for all my calling, whether from my laptop or with my dumbphone. I just really don't understand why anyone puts the earpiece and the control interface in the same device. That's where the ridiculous chain of compromise starts.

mamamia88
September 28th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Unless of course you're female and carry your phone in a handbag. Plenty of opportunity in the 50% of the market that isn't limited by the size of their pockets, as sales of Samsung's great big Note phones shows.

Ok even then lets assume that you are female and carry a purse. What's better a 5.8" smartphone or a 7" tablet that gets very good battery life and a flip phone that will last a week between charges? I still miss my razr for that purpose. i could forget to charge it and not have worry about it. Personally that would be my choice.

cptrohn
September 29th, 2013, 12:39 AM
I got the new Nexus 7 tablet a while back, I love it for a tablet perfect size great tablet.

Now I am waiting for them to release the Nexus 5, I guess I am the opposite of some folks, you do so much with your phone now that I prefer a larger screen, I think a 5" screen would be perfect for a phone that you actually need to be productive with.

I support Mac's and iDevices at work so I have a 4s for my work phone and I am squinting alot of the time for critical email.

xc3RnbFO8P
September 29th, 2013, 12:57 AM
I have been using Samsung Galaxy 7" (P1000) as a phone for 3 years, carrying it in a shoulder bag.
Today I have Galaxy Note 8, its more like a phone (very big), but it is like having mobile office, navigator, home bank, ticket to the bus, camera, heartbeat detector, finding electronic wire in walls, showing police insurance document, at home watch internet TV, radio, mail, translate..... it si a lifesaver.
Ok I look stupid when I am talking on the phone, but I don't care :)

aysiu
September 29th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I'd highly recommend the Moto X if you can get it. It's got a "big" screen but feels quite small in the hand.

SeijiSensei
September 29th, 2013, 05:24 PM
I carry my Galaxy S3 in my pocket all the time. It is not too large, and the device is so siim that I hardly notice it is there. Whenever I see my friends trying to read text on their iPhones, I'm even more convinced that the S3 was the right choice for me.

QDR06VV9
September 29th, 2013, 10:35 PM
How do you do anything, if you've got your smartphone in your hand all the time. :-P I can think of several things you need two hands to do.
I have to restrain myself to just smile!
You crack me up...
Regards

Cyb3
October 3rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
I totally agree with you. I have an iPhone 5, i regret this choice even more now when iOS7 came out. But that's not the point. I like the screensize of iPhone 5 though as well as you do, but screensizes like Samsung Galaxy Note, nah... That's not comfortable at all. But what feels right, is right. It's just a question of subjective evaluation.

John_McCourt
October 3rd, 2013, 09:04 PM
I find typing on touch screens awkward no matter what size the screen is. I recently switched from a big touch screen to a smaller phone with a hardware keyboard (still has a touch scren thoug). I like to feel the buttons I am pressing. I'll never go back to touch only.

mamamia88
October 3rd, 2013, 09:36 PM
I find typing on touch screens awkward no matter what size the screen is. I recently switched from a big touch screen to a smaller phone with a hardware keyboard (still has a touch scren thoug). I like to feel the buttons I am pressing. I'll never go back to touch only.

I agree it's nice to feel the keys you are pressing but it really depends on how good the keyboard actually is on the phone. With android you can find a keyboard with bigger keys that is pretty dang easy to use when holding with 2 hands. And with spell correction etc it's pretty decent. Now nothing can compare to a nice ergonomic keyboard on the desktop but, small physical keys on a phone and a decent software keyboard are pretty much the same to me. Especially if your phone has haptic feedback when typing.

Paqman
October 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Ok even then lets assume that you are female and carry a purse. What's better a 5.8" smartphone or a 7" tablet that gets very good battery life and a flip phone that will last a week between charges? I still miss my razr for that purpose. i could forget to charge it and not have worry about it. Personally that would be my choice.

Which is a perfectly good choice if you find it works for you. A lot of folks go for a regular sized smartphone (or even, as you say, a dumbphone) and a 7-10" tablet, a lot go for a single device in the 5-6" screen range. Both are decent choices IMO.

King Dude
October 4th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I think we should bring back the ear-brick.

http://netdna.webdesignerdepot.com/uploads/cellphone_design/dkmb86g_487pr55s2hc_b.jpg

...Anyone agree? :P

Cyb3
October 4th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I think we should bring back the ear-brick.

http://netdna.webdesignerdepot.com/uploads/cellphone_design/dkmb86g_487pr55s2hc_b.jpg

...Anyone agree? :P

Omg, that's awesome! Let's do it. :) Haha almost forgot they ever existed.

RichardET
October 4th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I want a phone which can handle all aspects of voice & data simultaneously, including use of bluetooth; I connect through my phone with my work laptop when I am traveling, but then bluetooth is not functional.
Screen size is fine for most smart phones - bigger is definitely not better in this case.

SeijiSensei
October 5th, 2013, 12:28 AM
With android you can find a keyboard with bigger keys that is pretty dang easy to use when holding with 2 hands.

I installed the Hacker's Keyboard (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard&hl=en) app on my Android phone. The portrait-mode keyboard requires hitting a shift to get to numbers and special characters, but in the landscape mode you get a full keyboard with things like Ctrl and Alt key combinations. Combined with JuiceSSH (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonelli.juicessh&hl=en) i can conduct a remote session with a Linux box and use things like Ctrl-C.

mamamia88
October 5th, 2013, 03:49 AM
I installed the Hacker's Keyboard (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard&hl=en) app on my Android phone. The portrait-mode keyboard requires hitting a shift to get to numbers and special characters, but in the landscape mode you get a full keyboard with things like Ctrl and Alt key combinations. Combined with JuiceSSH (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonelli.juicessh&hl=en) i can conduct a remote session with a Linux box and use things like Ctrl-C.

Funny you mention that. I actually use that on my nexus 7 and they keys are so big it's awesome. It's the only keyboard I could find with arrow keys for scrolling through commands over ssh. I absolutely love it. That being said it's still a pain in the ass for super long commands especially when you misstype them a few times.

_0R10N
October 5th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I think that the increasing size of mobile devices, like Samsung Galaxy, is due to the fact that they need to add more to match the performance of better devices, like iPhone. I can't understand why a mobile would need to have a quad core, is just a mobile; you don't need it to cook your meals for you...

aysiu
October 5th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I think that the increasing size of mobile devices, like Samsung Galaxy, is due to the fact that they need to add more to match the performance of better devices, like iPhone. I can't understand why a mobile would need to have a quad core, is just a mobile; you don't need it to cook your meals for you... I think it's more about numbers and bragging rights. I love a small screen. 4" is the ideal size (but not the long 4" of the iPhone... the squatter 4" of the older Android phones).

SeijiSensei
October 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM
For those of us of a more advanced age that the typical inhabitant of this forum, having a larger screen size means we can use larger text fonts. Once you pass fifty, you'll understand why this valuable.

philinux
October 7th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I carry my Galaxy S3 in my pocket all the time. It is not too large, and the device is so siim that I hardly notice it is there. Whenever I see my friends trying to read text on their iPhones, I'm even more convinced that the S3 was the right choice for me.

I'm with you on this. :P

philinux
October 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM
For those of us of a more advanced age that the typical inhabitant of this forum, having a larger screen size means we can use larger text fonts. Once you pass fifty, you'll understand why this valuable.

In a word. Varifocals.

SeijiSensei
October 8th, 2013, 12:37 PM
OT:

You mean progressive bifocals? Been there, done that. I hated lying on the couch and trying to watch TV. I had to keep tilting my head to look through the right part of the lens. Now I have the distance glasses I've worn for nearly six decades and a separate pair to wear when using my desktop computer. They focus to a spot about three feet in front of me. For reading, I just take the glasses off entirely.

philinux
October 8th, 2013, 01:54 PM
OT:

You mean progressive bifocals? Been there, done that. I hated lying on the couch and trying to watch TV. I had to keep tilting my head to look through the right part of the lens. Now I have the distance glasses I've worn for nearly six decades and a separate pair to wear when using my desktop computer. They focus to a spot about three feet in front of me. For reading, I just take the glasses off entirely.

Lol yes. I never lie on couch to watch tv but I have been interested in single vision for the pc.

walterorlin
October 8th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Yes that thing is big enough it is hard to lose and weighs enough you will notice if you walk away without it.

Allavona
October 9th, 2013, 02:14 AM
I remember when the Iphone 5 came out. People were making fun of the users hunched over the phone to see the text on the screen. There were dozens of pictures on sites like reddit. a frind has a Samsung Note2 and its huge, makes my old Samsung Captivate seem like an SD card! But he swears by it, its his lifeline.

BTW, if you want the Brick back, I want the bag back!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachments/off-topic-forum/21016d1290752405-first-phone-motorola-bag-phone.jpg

Only used to cost me $20 for 5 minutes!