PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Completely transparent Dash Home?

John_Brooks
September 27th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I've just switched over to ubuntu. This is the very first time I've used any OS other than Windows or Mac so it's very much a learning curve for me.
I'm using 12.04.3 LTS and I have it up and running but I have a small issue.
My Dash Home button (which I assume is the ubuntu version of the start button) does not display any of its UI, background or icons. All that happens is the bar running across the top of the screen displays the close, minimise and maximise buttons and the background flashes, but that's pretty much it.
The window does open and the icons are there (I know this because I randomly clicked in the window and all my programs opened).
It's just they are completely transparent
I've tried resetting the launcher icons, but that just replaced my buttons with the default ones.
The rest of the OS is running perfectly stable however.
Any help is greatly appreciated
As I said; I'm very new at this, I only installed ubuntu 5 hours ago.

grahammechanical
September 27th, 2013, 02:42 PM
You should also be able to open the Dash by tapping the Super (windows) key. The Dash usually opens minimised, taking up about 25% of the screen but anchored to the top left corner. If you maximise the Dash it will cover the whole screen. It should be semi opaque (like looking through frosted glass). There should be some icons along its bottom edge that will bring up applications, document files, music files, etc.

If you hold down the Super key it will bring up an overlay showing keyboard shortcuts. The Dash is something more that rollout menus and wallpaper full of icons. It learns from you. It will show recently used applications and recently used files. But first we have to start using stuff for it to remember what we used. We do not have a Dash screen full of application icons unless we click the Application lens and open "Installed see more".

There should be a search panel where we can load applications or files by searching for them. If we open any of the icons (lens) along the bottom we will get a filter option at the top right of the Dash. Click on that and we get a kind of menu structure that we can use to filter our search categories.

So, basically I am saying, is there something missing or is this a lack of understanding of what to expect?

Regards.