PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] 12.04 LTS upgraded, some systems do not have graphical boot progress, text only

mdlueck
September 27th, 2013, 02:19 AM
I switched desktop systems from Ubuntu 10.04, first swapped to xubuntu-desktop, then performed the LTS upgrade to 12.04.

A couple of systems have a text mode boot time splash / progress verses the Xubuntu usual graphical progress screen. When these systems finish booting, the proper Xubuntu graphical login screen appears, and from there it is normal.

I have verified that grub is still configured thusly:

# /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

and performed another update-grub, without change.

Is there some package that perhaps got left off during either the swap over to xubuntu-desktop, or in the LTS upgrade which is responsible for the boot time graphical display?

All systems have nVidia video chips, and all use the binary nVidia drivers. So that is not a difference between systems.

mdlueck
September 27th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I was able to recreate an example of what I am seeing on these upgraded installations of Xubuntu 12.04 by booting the Xubuntu 12.04 LiveCD in installation mode.

On numerous other Xubuntu installations, it boots with a graphical boot progress screen. This example is much like Ubuntu Server edition... yet it clearly identifies itself as Xubuntu! Why is this?