PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Optimization for Media Server

georges-langlois
September 26th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Hi,

have an old pc configuration here which I've been trying to get the maximum of it to run as a media server (and maybe for web development server)

The config is the following:
Pentium 4 2.53GHz
2,5 GB Ram
ATI Radeon x1600 256gb
HD Maxtor (very old) 7200rpm 160gb
HD Samsung 7200rpm 80gb

I don't know if it possible to play 1080p movies without stuttering with this config. At the moment, I have installed Ubuntu 12.04., running ATI opensource drivers. I've tested PS3 Media server, Universal Media Server and Serviio.
For some reason I couldn't make Serviio work properly (I can't see the video files or any file on the DLNA device (Panasonic TV)). PMS and UMS works, but 1080p is suttering a lot and 720p is stuttering a little. Already tested different codecs.

So, I'd like to ask what would be the best media server option for this configuration? I could run movies on the fly but my main concerning is subtitles. I'm in a infinite research for the best way of playing 3D movies with subtitles (heard about 3D subtitle and Wild Media Server but didnt test yet). So, for using subtitles I think I'll need some transcoding, is that correct?
Also, I'd like to know everything I can disable or change in the system to improve perfomance, including disabling gnome and let it boot in console.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

oldos2er
September 26th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Duplicate of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2175465 closed. In accordance with the Code of Conduct, please don't create duplicate threads; it's confusing and it dilutes community effort.