PDA

View Full Version : renaming all files in tree

squakie
September 25th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Please excuse an extremely stupid question:

I have a series of files in a series of folders under folder "famhist". In Windows of course things weren't case sensitive, so when it opened "I0042.html" it found "i0042.html" and would open it. I know how to make the rename command work for changing the "i" to "I", but only within a single folder. Is there a way at the command line to use rename recursively down through a folder tree?

whitesmith
September 25th, 2013, 09:14 AM
The question is not stupid. My favorite for stuff like this is the find command, which allows command execution on found files. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Find_%28Unix%29

squakie
September 25th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I was having problems making the find recursive, so I went back and read the information on your link as well as the man page again. I missed the "-maxdepth" option so it wasn't walking the directory tree. I have that working now (thanks!), so I'm going to try to add the exec for rename to change the "i" to and "I".

Wish me luck, and thanks again!

steeldriver
September 25th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Another way is to enable recursive shell globbing

shopt -s globstar

Then for example

$ rename -nv 's/data/\u$&/' **/*.html
tests/sub1/data1.html renamed as tests/sub1/Data1.html
tests/sub1/subsub1/data7.html renamed as tests/sub1/subsub1/Data7.html
tests/sub1/subsub2/data7.html renamed as tests/sub1/subsub2/Data7.html
tests/sub1/subsub3/data7.html renamed as tests/sub1/subsub3/Data7.html
tests/sub2/data2.html renamed as tests/sub2/Data2.html
tests/sub3/data3.html renamed as tests/sub3/Data3.html

squakie
September 25th, 2013, 10:32 AM
hummmmm.......ok, if I understand this correctly, I would need to do:

rename -nv 's/data/\u$&/' **/*.html

from my /home/dave/famhist folder?

if the \u$& saying Uppercase the $ (first) character in the name?

P.S. - I already tried my previous find, adding the exec from the wiki for passing the matching filenames to rename via xargs, but I failed miserably and changed every file or folder with "i" in the name to have "I" in the name - "luckily" within my home folder on down. But, I still made a mess. Tried reversing the lower/upper case "i" in the find to reset them - "almost" worked. Thought it might be wise to double-check here before doing anything more ;)

steeldriver
September 25th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Yes \u$& upper-cases the first character of the matched string (\U\& upper-cases the whole thing)

The nice thing about 'rename' is that with the -nv switches you can dry-run the replacement and tweak it to get it right before committing

Are you trying to change ALL html files or just ones with a particular matching name (e.g. beginning with i)?

squakie
September 25th, 2013, 09:42 PM
I was trying to change just files that are in the syntax of "i" followed by a numeric string, with a type of html. Fortunately for me (whew!) I tried this and only had a few other html files that it hit that had an "i" in the name but not as the first character. I was able to manually change those back.

Many, many years ago on an old mainframe editor I would have used s/^i/I/ saying substitute the beginning "i" (the caret being the beginning of line character) with the "I". Is there some sort of similar syntax for the rename?

Vaphell
September 25th, 2013, 09:50 PM
yes, this thing works the same way in rename (rename is based on perl and perl is pretty much a superset of (s)ed capability) but given that you work recursively you get all the files with the path portion in front of the name. Obviously ^ won't point where you would want it to point.

you'd have to do something like this

rename -nv 's:(.+/)i:$1I:'
save everything before i as $1 and reuse it later.

example

$ touch i0001.html
$ rename -nv 's/^i/I/' i0001.html
i0001.html renamed as I0001.html
$ rename -nv 's/^i/I/' ./i0001.html # nothing happens because expression doesn't match
$ rename -nv 's:(.*/)i:$1I:' ./i0001.html
./i0001.html renamed as ./I0001.html
but it's not rock solid

$ mkdir iii
$ touch iii/test.html iii/i0002.html
$ rename -nv 's:(.*/)i:$1I:' ./iii/*.html
./iii/i0002.html renamed as ./iii/I0002.html
./iii/test.html renamed as ./Iii/test.html
this on the other hand is

$ rename -nv 's:(.*/)i([^/]+)$:$1I$2:' ./*html ./iii/*.html
./i0001.html renamed as ./I0001.html
./iii/i0002.html renamed as ./iii/I0002.html

but if you change **/*.html to **/i*.html you can go with the shorter version

rename -nv 's:(.*/)i:$1I:' **/i*.html
as the case that made it fail becomes impossible.