PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Expand size of ubuntu partition

therealsam
September 24th, 2013, 02:14 PM
As the title suggests I am running out of space on my main partition and want to expand it.
Here's the image of my current disk http://i.imgur.com/H6EqxUrh.png

There are two things I need to do:
1) Move /dev/sda7(swap space) to the end so as to accomodate /dev/sda5 as a part of my ubuntu partition(do i need to format it to ext4? ).
2) use some of the space from /dev/sda3 i.e. move the ubuntu partition backwards.

All of the tutorials I saw over the internet involved expansion towards( including ubuntu docs) the right end of the disk and none towards the left.
Link to any tutorial is fine.
Thank you.

TheFu
September 24th, 2013, 09:21 PM
The image didn't display for me.
I won't let facts get in the way of posting a solution.

You can use clonezilla or fsarchive to backup your installation 100%. The backups will be compressed, so about 50% smaller. fsarchive can restore a partition to any new partition with enough storage to hold it - larger partitions are fine too.

If you will post the output of sudo parted -l, then we can make suggestions. Most likely, the easy answer will be to use gparted to shift stuff to the right, but if there is an extended partition involved, that becomes more complex.

BTW, I'd only make / 20G in size, never larger. Then I'd add partitions for other needs as necessary. /home is commonly a different partition, but almost any directory can be on a different partition ... which will free up /. Does that make sense? For example, create a new partition anywhere and put /usr or /var inside it. those tend to be the larger file systems on desktop Linux outside /home.

I hope this is clear?

therealsam
September 25th, 2013, 08:22 AM
here's the output of sudo parted -l
Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 98.7MB 98.7MB primary fat16 diag
2 98.7MB 53.8GB 53.7GB primary ntfs
3 53.8GB 199GB 145GB primary ntfs
4 199GB 250GB 51.0GB extended lba ---> this is /dev/sda3
6 199GB 216GB 16.7GB logical ext4 ---> this is my linux partition
7 216GB 218GB 2136MB logical ---> this is swap memory /dev/sda7
5 218GB 250GB 32.2GB logical ntfs ---> this is /dev/sda5

Also do I need to reformat my drive(/dev/sda5) to ext4 as i have found a work around to this by editing the /etc/fstab file
and adding this at the end
UUID=(Your HardDrive UUID) /media/user/(YOUR UUID) ntfs-3g defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=000,fmask=000 0 0

Although I am not sure regarding what it does but it works.