PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] problems installing on acer aspire 5741 laptop

michaelcranie
September 23rd, 2013, 11:15 AM
The live cd runs ok . I used gparted to format hdd with a root home and swap partitions . When i click on install ubuntu it doesn't open. The reason i removed windows was that 13.04 wouldn't install as it already had 4 logical partitions.Is it something to do with the hdd or just me being stupid.

mastablasta
September 23rd, 2013, 02:53 PM
The live cd runs ok . I used gparted to format hdd with a root home and swap partitions . When i click on install ubuntu it doesn't open. The reason i removed windows was that 13.04 wouldn't install as it already had 4 logical partitions.Is it something to do with the hdd or just me being stupid.

first you don't have to preformat the hard disk. you can just leave it as empty space and then select to install to this disk. all necessary partitions will be made automaticly.

secondly, can you boot into live session and then click on the icon to install? what happens then?

also make sure the downloaded disk image is good (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM)

michaelcranie
September 23rd, 2013, 03:51 PM
I know i don't have to pre format but thought it better as i like to keep my home separate from the os .Eventually got it installed by running the image with nomodset enabled.Thanks for the reply.Only thing is after a reboot the touchpad isn't working hopefully can get it going myself but suggestions would be appreciated. Willl mark as solved.<br>