PDA

View Full Version : Do Any Panel-Based DE's Enable These Capabilities?

buzzingrobot
September 22nd, 2013, 09:50 PM
In every panel-based DE I've used, you can add an app icon to a panel. Then, left click on that icon to launch the app.

So, are there panel-based DE's that also permit this:

1. Use the mouse to open a new app in a different workspace and move to that workspace, via one click.

2. Use the mouse to cycle between open instances of an app, regardless of the workspace they are located on.

I'm thinking mouse-only here, not keyboard or mouse plus keystrokes.

monkeybrain20122
September 22nd, 2013, 09:54 PM
In every panel-based DE I've used, you can add an app icon to a panel. Then, left click on that icon to launch the app.

So, are there panel-based DE's that also permit this:

1. Use the mouse to open a new app in a different workspace and move to that workspace, via one click.

2. Use the mouse to cycle between open instances of an app, regardless of the workspace they are located on.

I'm thinking mouse-only here, not keyboard or mouse plus keystrokes.

2. Yeah both kde and Unity can do this. In Unity enable scale in ccsm, In KDE it is somewhere in system settings > desktop effects. Since scale is in ccsm I suppose you can do it with all des where it is feasible and sensible to install compiz. Enable a hot corner, place the mouse there to expose all applications in all virtual desktops then use the mouse to cycle through and pick the one to go to.

buzzingrobot
September 22nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
Scale is the bit that shows small images of all workspace/windows?

The hot corner require two clicks, or, at least two distinct mouse actions. I'm thinking one mouse click to open an app in the current workspace, another click -- middle or right -- to open an app in another workspace and move there, while clicking on the icon of an app that has at least one running instance cycles through each instance of that app (e.g, I have six terminals open on four workspaces. Clicking the icon repeatedly shuffles the display to each terminal, in turn. This is different than selecting an app instance from a display of all open windows.)