PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] cannot save to home folder, permission denied

kenaniah
September 21st, 2013, 01:41 AM
Hi...
Fairly new to Ubuntu, been trying to learn for some time.
Using Ubuntu 11.10, I've got some pics save in home/pictures, when I try to edit them (either in image viewer or Shotwell) and re-save (overwriting the current) I get the "permission denied" error, cannot write to that folder.
How do I fix that, please and thank you?

hansdown
September 21st, 2013, 02:24 AM
Hi kenaniah.

11.10 reached end of life in may.

This "may" be related to your problem, as 11.10 no longer receives updates.

You should save your files to usb, etc, and install a newer version.

Dennis N
September 21st, 2013, 02:48 AM
Check the permissions on the Pictures folder by right-clicking on it and select properties. In the "permissions" tab, your user name should appear as owner and group. The other boxes under "Access Control" should be as follows:

View Content: Anyone
Change Content: Only owner
Access Content: Anyone

Fix these as needed from the drop down selectors.

(This is based on what I see in Lubuntu's file manager - You should see similar contents in Ubuntu)

kenaniah
September 21st, 2013, 03:55 AM
Ah, thanks to both of you....

Folder permissions fixed.

And I was wondering why I couldn't update anymore...

I have to say, that does not impress me, that they stop supporting that way........not everybody has the equipment to run the "newest" version of an OS, I tried 12.04 first and my machine was just too slow to run it.
So that makes me wonder what else I'm not going to be able to do further on.:(

claracc
September 21st, 2013, 08:20 AM
You can try lighter flavours of ubuntu for old or low spec computers, as lubuntu. You can try lubuntu 13.04 live CD. Lubuntu is suitable for low specs machines.

Staying with and EOL support ubuntu is going to limit your work and give you a lot of problems. As you have experienced you are not going to receive any security update, also you are using obsolete software. But the permission problems I think is not related with running and EOL ubuntu, since you have fixed them changing permissions.

kenaniah
September 21st, 2013, 09:28 PM
Allrighty, thank you for the info......I'll be trying out lubuntu. I'm certainly finding that it's a whole different world than Windows, which I'm very fluent in. I'm wanting to become fluent in Linux as well.

claracc
September 22nd, 2013, 08:10 AM
As you got fixed your problem about permissions, please mark the thread as solved:
If you need to mark your own thread as solved, you can do so from Thread Tools -> Mark thread as solved, from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2151638&p=12738902&viewfull=1#post12738902

Thanks