PDA

View Full Version : After a sudo apt-get command i lost all boot devies in my BIOS

wdh1974
September 20th, 2013, 08:29 PM
I installed Lubuntu, and right at the onset it wasn't for me(though i could reboot just fine no issues), and i had no sound. After lots of research i wasn't getting anywhere with my sound problems, then i found this.........lol

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa; sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get dist-upgrade; sudo apt-get install pavucontrol linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; sudo apt-get -y --reinstall install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; killall pulseaudio; rm -r ~/.pulse*; ubuntu-support-status; sudo usermod -aG `cat /etc/group | grep -e '^pulse:' -e '^audio:' -e '^pulse-access:' -e '^pulse-rt:' -e '^video:' | awk -F: '{print $1}' | tr '\n' ',' | sed 's:,$::g'` `whoami`

Well, that monster of a sudo command fixed my sound 100% lol, and after a reboot i had NO BOOT devices!!!

Ok sicne i was already annoyed with Lubuntu i grabbed mint, made a bootable USB, and all went well, installed, i could see my HDD in LIVE mode, rebooted after the install compelted, pulled out the USB and BOOM back in BIOS with no boot devices lol.

My laptop is a ASUS x401u, no optical drive just a HDD. It is UEFI

I cant help be laugh at my situation....http://forums.linuxmint.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Quackers
September 20th, 2013, 08:35 PM
A far as I'm aware nothing Lubuntu or mint-based could affect your bios boot devices. I'd be looking at your computer for answers not the OS.

And I think that huge command was actually separate commands.

wdh1974
September 20th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Yeah, i agree, but i i had rebooted several times before that command with no issues, then after that command, it's all gone, really weird. i mean nothing is listed lol, tho the mint OS is there as when i use the USB again to try and install it asks if i want to overwrite the previous version of MINT. Ive done some google searching about adding a new boot option, but i cant find anything concrete.

Quackers
September 20th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Try resetting the bios to default.

wdh1974
September 20th, 2013, 08:55 PM
yeah tried, its not working, maybe i need to move to the hardware forums?

Quackers
September 20th, 2013, 08:57 PM
It's an odd one. Maybe shut it down for a while and try again. I really don't know what to suggest.

wdh1974
September 26th, 2013, 05:57 AM
I just thought i should check back and let you know, or anyone that reads this that i figured it out. The problem was simply my MBR got destroyed from that command listen above, there can be no other reason i can see, before that command i rebooted many times before. either way, that was this issue lol.