PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu on laptop.

kiran1247
September 19th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Hi,

I need some information.

I'm using HP laptop , which runs on windows 7.

Now i would like to erase everything related to windows , and format with ubuntu making my laptop run on only one OS say with UBuntu only.

Is is possible ?

Thanks.

slickymaster
September 19th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Of course it is. Just put in the Ubuntu LiveCD, tell it to install Ubuntu, and let it automatically partition the whole disk. That should do it.

kiran1247
September 19th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Great !

And , we can format again with windows , whenever we want.
This is something , we can do anything as we like , either windows or linux.

Thanks.

Quackers
September 19th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I would make a set of recovery discs first though, otherwise you may have to pay for a set if you want to re-ionstall Windows.

kiran1247
September 19th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Yes , i do have one set of recovery DVDs already.

Just confirming that , we can make our laptops to run with any Operating System as we like , though usually when we purchase any laptop they come with windows OS as default.

Thanks

mörgæs
September 19th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Good. If this solved your problem please mark the thread so.

slickymaster
September 19th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Good. If this solved your problem please mark the thread so.

if you don't know how to do it just follow the link in my signature.

Mark Phelps
September 19th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Yes , i do have one set of recovery DVDs already.

Just confirming that , we can make our laptops to run with any Operating System as we like ....

In theory -- yes; in practice -- maybe not.

Laptops use lots of specialized hardware to keep the cost down and maximize performance. It's not unusual for drivers for that hardware to either not be available in Linux, or the drivers that are available offer reduced performance and/or features over what's available in Windows.

Your best approach would be to (BEFORE you wipe out Windows) boot with a LiveDVD or LiveUSB of the Ubuntu distro you want -- and confirm that all the hardware works using the default installed drivers. That way, if something does not work, you still have a machine you can use to track down solutions.