PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] trying Ubuntu 13.04 from live DVD, no networking

raymondvillain
September 19th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Want to get Ubuntu 13.04 running on a new desktop. It has Windows 8 installed already. When running Windows, network connection is perfect. But when I boot to the live DVD (burned from the downloaded iso) and "try Ubuntu without installing" I can't connect to the network, so there is no internet during the install process.

Any ideas how to fix this?

carl4926
September 19th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Are you meaning wired or wireless?

raymondvillain
September 19th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Wired. Ethernet works with Windows 8 just fine, no issues. Ubuntu won't connect, for some reason.

raymondvillain
September 19th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Realtek PCIeGBE Family Controller

carl4926
September 19th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Are your windows 8 is properly powered off?
They made a dogs breakfast out of that @microsoft

raymondvillain
September 20th, 2013, 01:04 PM
It happens even if i disconnect the drive on which Windows 8 is installed. Tried a different router, still no network. Baffling.

raymondvillain
September 20th, 2013, 01:43 PM
This is a machine I built myself, are there issues with Gigabyte motherboards? Is there a setting I can change in BIOS? If I install 13.04 without a network connection, will I be able to set up one after the installation? Is this worth a try?

carl4926
September 20th, 2013, 07:06 PM
If it's a BOX, slap a PCI network card in it
They are cheap as chips
D-Link ones are easy to find on auction sites

raymondvillain
September 21st, 2013, 03:42 AM
I did just that, a Trendnet card. Network cable has been moved from the on-board network connection to the new one. Windows 8 works fine, but not Ubuntu. When I'm running the live CD, I opened a terminal window, typed lspci -v and got 2 blocks of text with ethernet info, both list "kernel driver in use: r8169" which makes me think that the ethernet controller built into the motherboard and the trendnet card I installed use the realtek hardware, and perhaps Ubuntu doesn't like the realtek driver. Will look for a different network card tomorrow, stores all closed here now. Thanks for the suggestion. If I'm right, how will I get Ubuntu to use the PCI card and not the controller built into the motherboard?

raymondvillain
September 21st, 2013, 04:28 AM
What Gigabit ethernet cards are folks using with Ubuntu? My motherboard has a Realtek built in, 13.04 doesn't work with it. I put a trendnet card in but it uses hardware that ubuntu thinks needs the realtek driver, so no luck there. Is an intel gigabet ethernet card a good choice? Need to avoid using the realtek 8169 driver. The hardware compatibility list seems out of date to me.

carl4926
September 21st, 2013, 05:20 AM
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full

That is mine
Works fine

raymondvillain
September 21st, 2013, 07:22 PM
Solved. It was the realtek ethernet driver. I put an Intel ethernet card and everything works.