PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Menu freeze with Cinnamon on 13.04

polt
September 13th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Hi!

I had big problems trying to set up Cinnamon on Ubuntu 13.04. I used this repository:

ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable

But had problems because of unmet dependencies:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
cinnamon : Depends: libgjs0-libmozjs185-1.0
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

But I was able to overcome these using aptitude.

Then my computer would freeze on the login screen unless I did CTRL+ALT+F1 and after logging in at the command line, did a dist-upgrade. After that, Cinnamon worked pretty good except that any time I opened the menu it would completely freeze everything.

Has anyone had similar problems or know how to fix them?

Thanks!

SuperFreak
September 13th, 2013, 07:46 PM
This is how I installed cinnamon.Did you install nemo?

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon nemo

SuperFreak
September 13th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I gooogled this solution:

This is a relatively easy fix, at least an easy one to try! :) It appears you have a broken dependency/package, an easy fix.

Do this:

sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update
It should fix your broken packages error, then you can run the sudo apt-get install cinammon command to install it!

Good Luck!

http://http://askubuntu.com/questions/291495/cinnamon-not-installing-in-ubuntu-13-04

polt
September 14th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I totally tried all of the simple google solutions, and that's how I found the one of installing aptitude. apt-get clean doesn't help. And yes, I have also installed nemo. Ultimately, I got Cinnamon installed, the problem is opening the menu crashes the whole computer. I've probably just tweaked my distro too much and maybe a fresh install and then a new attempt to install Cinnamon would work. But I'd rather not do that if you know what I mean :)

polt
September 16th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Well, I did a fresh reinstall of Ubuntu 13.04 and that fixed a lot of my problems. You don't even need to add the Cinnamon repository if Raring is installed correctly. Good luck everyone else!