PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Not able to install ubuntu

vickysodhi67
September 12th, 2013, 06:45 PM
As m hving a new machine sony vaio i5 after the complete installation of the ubuntu os the display starts blinking and os does not start...
Help me Please..

rencemc
September 12th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I seen a couple instances where this happend. I just let it sit there (just leave it at least a half hour or so)
and it eventually booted and the issue never happened again. It's worth a shot. I too got impatient and kept
rebooting it. Then I just waited :)

Kirboosy
September 12th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Hi, and let me be the first to say "Welcome to the forums!" (If no one has already)

First a couple of question need to be answered.

1. What version of Ubuntu are you trying to install?
2. What type of architecture are you trying to install. (32 Bit or 64 Bit)
3. Does the installation give any errors at any point?

Thanks!
~Caboose

vickysodhi67
September 12th, 2013, 07:49 PM
i have tried version 12.04 and 13.04
64 bit
No it does not give any error

Kirboosy
September 12th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Can you provide the exact model/number on the laptop?

vickysodhi67
September 14th, 2013, 06:24 PM
sony vaio intel i5 processor model no SVE15116ENB

sudodus
September 14th, 2013, 07:52 PM
More questions: Do you intend to run only Ubuntu, or do you want to dual boot with Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Windows 8 makes a big difference, because it is normally installed with UEFI, and it makes dual boot much more difficult.

Kirboosy
September 16th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I was searching around and I was able to find this.

Sony Vaio EFI will not boot into grub (http://askubuntu.com/questions/150174/sony-vaio-with-insyde-h2o-efi-bios-will-not-boot-into-grub-efi/150640#150640)

So I guess the UEFI and a couple settings need to be tweaked on the laptop in order for Ubuntu to run properly.

EDIT: I would recommend trying to boot into Ubuntu LiveCD and use the BootRepair (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair) tool too see if that fixes it.

vickysodhi67
September 18th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Dual boot with windows 7

Bucky Ball
September 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Does it work ok when you 'Try Ubuntu' from the disk? If so, that's a good sign.

Try this:

Boot from the installation media and when you get to the window that says 'Try Ubuntu' 'Install Ubuntu' and a few other options, hit F6. From the pop-up list choose 'nomodset'. Continue. Did that work?

UEFI could certainly have something to do with it. I presume you have Win installed already? If not, install that FIRST and leave free space for installing Ubuntu, then install Ubuntu.

And welcome to the forums. ;)

sudodus
September 18th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Does it work ok when you 'Try Ubuntu' from the disk? If so, that's a good sign.

Try this:

Boot from the installation media and when you get to the window that says 'Try Ubuntu' 'Install Ubuntu' and a few other options, hit F6. From the pop-up list choose 'nomodset'. Continue. Did that work?

UEFI could certainly have something to do with it. I presume you have Win installed already? If not, install that FIRST and leave free space for installing Ubuntu, then install Ubuntu.

And welcome to the forums. ;)
+1
I confirm because I think you responded to my question, vickysodhi67