PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu GNOME SHELL

narendra4
September 12th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Hello,
I have a dell Inspiron 1545.Ubuntu 12.04 and now I have installed Ubutu GNOME SHELL and Extension, But How can I use That? I dont Seen any chage in graphics or the desktop environment..please help

ajgreeny
September 12th, 2013, 11:53 AM
You have to make the choice at login using the small wheel like icon in the login box, though I am not sure whether you can have both unity and gnome shell on the same user's configuration or same OS; I seem to remember hearing about some conflict or other, though I may be wrong.

If it is possible:-
Ubuntu at login will give you unity,
Gnome (or something similar) will give you gnome shell.

cmcanulty
September 12th, 2013, 02:11 PM
if you have auto login log out first to see the options then you can pick and reset to auto login and system will remember your choice

kurt18947
September 12th, 2013, 02:13 PM
You have to make the choice at login using the small wheel like icon in the login box, though I am not sure whether you can have both unity and gnome shell on the same user's configuration or same OS; I seem to remember hearing about some conflict or other, though I may be wrong.

If it is possible:-
Ubuntu at login will give you unity,
Gnome (or something similar) will give you gnome shell.

Exactly. I'm doing the same thing. I install the default Ubuntu then add gnome-shell and maybe Xfce4 and/or LXDE (NOT the desktops, I like the default Ubuntu apps for the most part). There may be some small confusion but nothing significant.

2Stoned
September 13th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Try this:
sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s gnome-shell

Logout and login again. Or reboot the syetem for the best performance