PDA

View Full Version : How to boot from live USB after Install?

ryan29
September 11th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I am trying to partition my hard drive to dual boot. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 via a live USB. I am not able to partition my hard drive because it is what I booted on. I read that I have to use the try ubuntu from the live usb then go into my gparted to partition. When I try to boot from the usb it just goes to the purple ubuntu screen, then a black screen, then to my regular booted desktop, there is no option to boot from the usb. Maybe I am missing something here, can someone help me!?

Bashing-om
September 11th, 2013, 08:10 PM
ryan29; Hi !

What you boot is an option that must be set from within your bios setup. How one accesses their bios varies widely ..most common is from a cold boot; one has a small window in time to press the appropriate key... many times the bios splash screen will have an advisory as to the key to press ... many times that key is the delete key of the function key f12 to enter bios set-up.

not much help, but a little

ryan29
September 11th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I have tried the bios boot option but no matter which order they are in it will not bring up the live usb upon boot...

sudodus
September 11th, 2013, 08:29 PM
How did you boot the live USB before you installed Ubuntu? The same method should work now.

- Either press a hotkey to get a choice of boot devices (it its shown one or two seconds at the beginning of the boot, could be ESC, or F9-F12)

- or enter the BIOS menu system and change the boot order (have USB first, or if it is recognized as a HDD when inserted, put the pendrive 'HDD' at the top of the list).

hg-knight
September 11th, 2013, 08:32 PM
sounds daft but is the usb in the right way around. i have booted from usb inserted the wrong way. just boots into hdd