PDA

View Full Version : CompTIA certifications

nick34
September 9th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Hi,

I'm planning to start working on some CompTIA and LPI certifications. I know I want to get my A+ for sure. I also think Network+ could be valuable. CompTIA also offers other certs like Security+ and Server+ and I was wondering if anyone had some insight as to the value that these certifications would provide. I don't have a college degree so I figured having 3 or 4 CompTIA certs plus the LPI certs I will eventually get would look good on a resume.

So, does anyone have experience with the CompTIA certifications and if so can you share what you know about them and which ones you find most valuable.

Thanks!

CharlesA
September 9th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I think the A+ and Net+ certs are a given for any IT person. One of my coworkers was going to see about taking the Security+ exam, but I don't know if he actually finished it or not.

With that being said, there are people who think certs are just HR fodder, and that a degree is more important. But in the end, if it gets you in the door, it was worth it.

nick34
September 9th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I've heard mixed opinions about certs and degrees alike. I figured I would get my certs first and see if that gets me in the door and if I find I need a degree I will go from there. Plus I'll have those certs on top of a degree if I do get one.

I think I would be able to get a 2 year degree fairly easily if I needed, but a 4 year would be more difficult just transportation and cost-wise. I'm wondering how a 2 year and 4 year degree compare?