PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite computer/video game?

Mazate
September 9th, 2013, 03:00 AM
I'd be curious to know what everyone's favorite computer game is and why. I'll start:

Mine is Half Life 2. Why? Half Life 2 has a fantastic story. It has suspense, action, puzzles to solve, and a fun group of bad guys. I don't know how many times I've played it over the years but I never tire of it. Don't get me wrong, I don't play it constantly. Maybe once a year or so I'll run through it along with the sequels. Even though I always know what's coming, the suspense gets me. I definitely got my money's worth.

What is yours?

kostkon
September 9th, 2013, 03:09 AM
That's a difficult question.

I'd say Age of Empires II (and Anno 1602 [aka 1602 A.D.] a runner up).

Why?? I like RTSes, I guess...

P.S.: both playable with Wine.

mastablasta
September 9th, 2013, 09:45 AM
hard to say. i haven't played HL2 yet. only 1st part. single and in coop.

otherwise i liked a few. and few have a special place (now these are only PC ones): Spear of destiny, Doom2, X-com:Terror from the deep, Terra Nova, Half life (and it's mods), Ultima Underworld and it's tribute Arx Fatalis, Morrowind, Civilization. Lately i've been discovering a few newer interesting ones such as Hearts of Iron and Rome Total War. I don't have much time to play.

to name only one would be difficult i would probably be choosing between Morrowind and X-Com.

SpazCool
September 9th, 2013, 02:10 PM
If "time served" is any indication of my favorite game I think it would be a close race between "Halo 2" and the old "StarCraft." The last time I was on Bungie's website I could still see that I had nearly 25,000 kills on H2's multiplayer! As for SC, I still have the game and I still do play it every so often.

I grew up in a household that had plenty of consoles, but never any computers so I do tend to favor a box next to the TV....

santosh83
September 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I liked Need for Speed Porsche, and Elder Scrolls Morrowind. These days under Linux I like to run Flightgear now and then. Not a big game player overall. :-)

John_McCourt
September 12th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Syndicate (The original, not syndicate wars). None of these FPS games. It got boring after Wolfenstien 3d. The original populous was good, I wish someone would remake it without screwing it up. Oh and Red Alert 1. Starcraft is pretty good, but the AI sucks when it runs out of minerals.

ssam
September 12th, 2013, 11:02 AM
That's a difficult question.

I'd say Age of Empires II (and Anno 1602 [aka 1602 A.D.] a runner up).

Why?? I like RTSes, I guess...

P.S.: both playable with Wine.

Have you tried 0AD (http://play0ad.com/)?

herrfischer
September 13th, 2013, 07:16 PM
dark souls 2 (PS3) - just an awesome action RPG
demons souls (PS3) - very good, too
nier (ps3) - never had such ... "feelings" by playing a video game
ninja gaiden black (xbox) - can u handle it?
metal gear solid (PS1) - the story ... omg

linuxyogi
September 15th, 2013, 11:31 PM
My favorite PC game are Tom Clancy's Hawx part 1 & part 2.

Both the games are based on fighter jets. You complete a mission which unlocks the next mission.

I have played part 1 in Wine. It played okay but I had to decrease the video quality a bit (not the resolution).

stinkeye
September 16th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Soldier of Fortune2.

Still one of the best FPS games ever made.
Play the multiplayer 3 to 4 times each week on an American server which still has 20 players regularly.
The best thing about SOF2 is low pingers don't have an advantage because
the game engine determines who would have won if pings were equal.
Pretty important when your pinging 300.

mynamesalex
September 16th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I loved Hearts of Iron. It's especially fun to play with a bunch of friends, if you can talk some people into lan-ing with you.

I lately play a lot of league of legends, xcom enemy unknown, Faster than Light, and company of heroes. Unfortunately Company of Heroes 2 won't run on Linux quite yet. At least I haven't been able to get it to.

fontis
September 18th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I have many favorite games and the list grows longer each year.
But I'd say RIGHT NOW, my favorite game is League of Legends (which unfortunately doesn't run natively in Linux).

mishi2
September 18th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Right now I'm playing Borderlands 2 under Windows. :/ But I'm going to try and run it in Ubuntu real soon.
Maybe Gearbox will support linux sometime, they have a mac port after all. :3

arkan01d
September 18th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I have many favorite games and the list grows longer each year.

Agreed.

For me, as I've grown, gaming has always played a major part of my life. Baldur's Gate 2, Morrowind, then Battlefield Modern Warfare, Minecraft, Skyrim, and now Dungeons of Dreadmor.

fireflower
September 19th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Too many genres, too many years, to name just one. Behold my misspent youth:

Squad combat: Syndicate
Platformer: Super Metroid
Flight sim: TIE Fighter
Hack and slash: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
First person shooter: Counter Strike
Real time strategy: Age of Empires II
Turn based strategy: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Role playing game: Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
Bullet hell: Starfox 64
Fighting: Super Smash Brothers: Melee
Racing: Mario Kart: Double Dash
Adventure: Minecraft
Massively multiplayer: EVE

King Dude
September 19th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Halo, Doom 3, Fallout 3, and Warcraft 3.

bibek2
September 20th, 2013, 01:57 AM
dink smallwood, age of empires, diablo and dave 3 lol

Habitual
September 20th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Theaterwide Biotoxic and Chemical Warfare

CharlesA
September 20th, 2013, 02:20 AM
dink smallwood

I still have that somewhere. Haven't played it in YEARS. Fun game, though.

Toz
September 20th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Leisure Suit Larry.
The first one.
EGA graphics.

(...the memories)

QIII
September 20th, 2013, 03:10 AM
I pretty much stopped at pong.

bibek2
September 20th, 2013, 05:57 AM
I still have that somewhere. Haven't played it in YEARS. Fun game, though.
its has since been released for android as well. brings back old memories from 1996.

HansKisaragi
September 20th, 2013, 01:23 PM
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.. Best PC wRPG ever made.

King Dude
September 20th, 2013, 09:25 PM
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.. Best PC wRPG ever made.
Then you might be interested in OpenMW (https://openmw.org/en/).

You're welcome!

choigame24g
September 21st, 2013, 03:24 AM
Have you tried 0AD (http://play0ad.com/)?

pear of destiny, Doom2, X-com:Terror from the deep, Terra Nova, Half life

Bandit
September 21st, 2013, 04:58 PM
I am still playing WoW.. But been playing some GW2 and Assassins Creed III on the side. Thats when I am not working on my house or in the GYM weight training..

HansKisaragi
September 21st, 2013, 07:19 PM
Then you might be interested in OpenMW (https://openmw.org/en/).

You're welcome!

no thanks.. i only play vanilla.

john_burns2
September 22nd, 2013, 01:16 AM
My favourite game was Eve Online. Sadly since moving to Ubuntu OS I've tried (at various times) to play it using Wine and Playonlinux, with limited success.
Lag reduced the playability to almost zero When another player locked on to you, by the time you'd tried to warp away, you were egged. (note to self, I must get a ******* based system ,just for this one game) :D:D:D:D

Paqman
September 22nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
Lately I've been playing a lot of World of Tanks, Kerbal Space Program and Great Big/Little War Game. Over the years probably the game I've sunk the most time into would be Civ 3. Still the best of the series.

pemur1
September 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Doom, Doom2, Heretic, Hexen. Wthout a doubt.

I've been getting back into making Doom/Doom2 levels after a long hiatus.

vicsar
September 23rd, 2013, 01:58 AM
Half-Life, great story
Portal, makes think
Zumba, plain fun
Super Mario Bros., classic
Age of empires, strategy
Zelda, great story
and many more, I love gaming.

lamb123
September 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
trackmania 2 stadium

MethosCR
September 23rd, 2013, 08:01 PM
This is one of the hardest questions in the universe for me... ](*,)

Not much of a follower of new games, I've been looking for trying X-COM's new version.

I'm really a fan of KOTOR, Jedi Academy, Heroes of Might & Magic III & V, Age of Mythology, Spore, Rappelz, and StarCraft (obviously!)...

... and really old games like StarControl 2, X-COM: Enemy Unknown.

Samuel_Knight
September 23rd, 2013, 09:33 PM
Dustforce is definitely a top game in my book. It always has been and always will be the best platformer I've ever played.

Myst: Masterpiece Edition is a great collection of the most unique (and in my opinion most difficult) point-and-click games ever to hit the market.

mynamesalex
September 24th, 2013, 07:41 PM
League of Legends :)

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I already posted that :(

fireflower
September 25th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Kerbal Space Program This. Just got into it. It's like The Oregon Trail had a lovechild with a TI-85. Brb going to land and/or crash on Mun.

steven12
October 5th, 2013, 04:40 PM
SimCtiy titles, Diablo II and III

jskandhari
October 5th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Age of Empire I , II , III all editions
Need for Speed 2 ( <-- The initial NFS which first came with Multiplayer in split screen and cars like Ford Indigo & FZR )
NFS MW
NFS UG2

v1k1ng1001
October 6th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Tf2

Saurevv
October 6th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Nothing beats caesar3 in rts.. (open caesar in development.. yay)

in sandbox style games .. GTA series .period.

georgelappies
October 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Baldursgate 1 + TotSC
Baldursgate 2 + ToB
IWD + HoW + TotLM
PST
IWD 2
Diablo 2
Diablo 3
WoW
Starcraft 1
Starcraft 2
Warcraft 3

Allavona
October 8th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Many moons ago I had a Commodore 128 and played Interplays Dragon Wars religiously. It truly introduced me to RPG's and I have been hooked ever since. I game primarily on my console now but I do play Neverwinter actively when in Windows. Will run in Linux but honestly, its atrocious.

My absolute favorite computer game? Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. It runs just fine in Linux.

mynamesalex
October 10th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Baldursgate 1 + TotSC
Baldursgate 2 + ToB
IWD + HoW + TotLM
PST
IWD 2
Diablo 2
Diablo 3
WoW
Starcraft 1
Starcraft 2
Warcraft 3

Oh man Baldur's Gate 2 blew my mind back in the day. I built my FIRST PC when that game came out. My old Athlon 64x2 6000+ (dual core, 3ghz) and 8800gt with 4, then later 8gb of ram.

I swear I though Baldur's Gate was going to be the future of RPGs. And the style did continue, just not in the way I hoped it would. Not that Mass Effect and Dragon Age games are bad, but still. It would've been nice to see the party system from Baldur's Gate carried on more.

mynamesalex
October 10th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Many moons ago I had a Commodore 128 and played Interplays Dragon Wars religiously. It truly introduced me to RPG's and I have been hooked ever since. I game primarily on my console now but I do play Neverwinter actively when in Windows. Will run in Linux but honestly, its atrocious.

My absolute favorite computer game? Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. It runs just fine in Linux.

You should look into Legend of Grimrok, judging from screenshots, it looks like LoG is just the type of classic style RPG game that you would enjoy. Look it up, it's on steam. I played it and it's really challenging, and very fun. I got stuck at one part of the maze though and gave up. Went back to some other games.

georgelappies
October 10th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Oh man Baldur's Gate 2 blew my mind back in the day. I built my FIRST PC when that game came out. My old Athlon 64x2 6000+ (dual core, 3ghz) and 8800gt with 4, then later 8gb of ram.

I swear I though Baldur's Gate was going to be the future of RPGs. And the style did continue, just not in the way I hoped it would. Not that Mass Effect and Dragon Age games are bad, but still. It would've been nice to see the party system from Baldur's Gate carried on more.

Have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eternity

I personally cannot wait until it is released. And it will have a NATIVE LINUX CLIENT AT RELEASE! Sorry had to scream that out :)

And also this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate:_Enhanced_Edition

The BG2 Enhanced Edition is coming out soon as well :)

KxWWFhY
October 10th, 2013, 09:34 PM
it's hard question but i guess for now, GTA all versions, the old Age Of Empires, The old dome, Jazz and Dishonored

SoergBot
October 11th, 2013, 10:32 PM
I recently started playing "7 Days to Die" it is pretty fun
Skyrim has to be my all time favorite though for PC

nathan-b
October 13th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I've started going with the xkcd method where I play games about 5 years after they come out. I'm playing Mass Effect 2 right now and really enjoying it, the music is very good (reminds me of Blade Runner a lot), there are some interesting characters, and some really funny cutscenes/dialogue.

In terms of hours spent obsessed with a game though, my favorite all time would be a game called "The Perfect General" for DOS. I loved that game.

MerchantHubs
October 16th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Forbidden Kingdom (Philippines)

I love the graphics and I've met a lot of friends from this game.

mynamesalex
October 16th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eternity

I personally cannot wait until it is released. And it will have a NATIVE LINUX CLIENT AT RELEASE! Sorry had to scream that out :)

And also this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate:_Enhanced_Edition

The BG2 Enhanced Edition is coming out soon as well :)

*Que choir chanting Hallelujah!*

Erik1984
October 16th, 2013, 09:05 PM
This question falls into the same category as "what's your favorite song" impossible to answer. If total playtime is the criterion I'd have to say that OpenTTD (open source recreation of Transport Tycoon Deluxe) is my favorite game.

Dragonbite
October 17th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Just recently got into World of Tanks. My son is obsessed with it and I've lost a few hours playing it.

hhWnd8K
October 17th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I am a bit of an old school gamer. I keep a Dell XPSR450 with ******* 98 on it for my games. My list includes.
Quake I, Midtown Madness I, Need For Speed I SE and II SE, and GTA I.

codybricesands
October 18th, 2013, 12:59 AM
Well mine would be Battlefield 3, Minecraft and sometimes i play team fortress 2

sha1sum
October 21st, 2013, 11:47 AM
Some of the video games I have enjoyed in the (recent) past are Far Cry 2, Age of Empires III, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and Morrowind.

Dragonbite
October 21st, 2013, 09:56 PM
Just recently got into World of Tanks. My son is obsessed with it and I've lost a few hours playing it.

Oh.. and I recently heard the World of Tanks plays in Wine (they suggested Play On Linux). So now I am trying to get POL to work since remote desktop to the Windows machine with it doesn't work, it doesn't capture the mouse movements, just the clicks.

MooPi
October 22nd, 2013, 08:27 PM
The list is long but I'll shorten it a bit, StarCraft but not multi-player , I would ramp up bot games so they were almost impossible to survive. It was just a flurry of key strokes. Then I played Counter Strike Source until the newest version came out and Global Offensive really hasn't caught my fancy. Somewhere in between all these I hosted a Left4Dead server and played that non-stop. Now in my leisure I play Minecraft, always in survival and on hard, single and multi-player, but I'm really playing tons of LOL .Can't beat it for diversity of players and maps.

cprofitt
October 23rd, 2013, 02:23 AM
Hmm....

Master of Magic
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c3/Master_of_Magic_boxcover.jpg

Mission Force Cyberstorm
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b6/Cyberstorm_Cover.jpg

Steel Panthers II
http://flwgc.1dogstar.net/pics/dossp2wwii.jpg

Master of Orion
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/Master_of_Orion_cover.jpg

v1k1ng1001
October 23rd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Other games come and go but I always find some time every week to play Team Fortress 2.

david98
October 23rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
My favourite game of all time has to be doom or doom 2. Why because it's a classic and i think it wrote the book on good sps and many have followed suite since

mulungu
October 23rd, 2013, 04:23 PM
urbandead.com

PeterRJG
October 24th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Probably Skyrim. I've sunk more time into it than any other non-MMO video game. Others? The first Half-Life, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout New Vegas...I have a soft spot for old school CRPGs like the Ultima Underworlds, System Shock 1, Ultima 7, Realms of the Haunting, etc. And Linux + DOSBox + old school games = hellafun.

||0BL1v10N||
October 24th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Minecraft! :) On all platforms!

b|ackhole
October 27th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Oh man, guys, I feel so old-school admitting it. My favourite computer game is probably Ultima Online. I've been part of the custom-free-shard community for over 10 years now, from playing, to designing maps, writing lore, doing illustration and website art and building those communities. It's a great MORPG platform.

acodea
October 27th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Is it an infraction of the rules to place at the top of the list of mine that a technicality such as "technically a Computer game, because it can be played on a computer, but I played it on Playstation as it should be played" and yet save the(and thread" post with my favorite "Computer VG made for Computer.)?

Technically made for Playstation, the videogame series "Resident Evil" is my favorite video game series. I can't say I have a top favorite because I can't decide whether Jill or Claire is the better heroine. I like the weapons getup, a knife can be called a useful weapon in the game and the handgun has a cool sound and had a belies the efficacy of that beast. Switching paths and characters during the game is a good feature, and another is the myriad baddies; I haven't played in years, but back when I played with Tony as a partner, I liked sharing gamepads and playing all night each of us trying to outdo the other.

Computer games are my release, so my favorite counts for an extra point for me. The "Bioshock" series I can play far into the night and is played in a past somehow forgotten and buried, stirring memories of the Tonsillitis I had when I was 11.(a fever which causes hallucinations my mind somehow has caused to bury the memory of the moments I was suffering under it's influence. Not a lot of choice.) I tune in to it, more than I play it. The bad guys are people who have become victim to the designs of a plastic surgeon who's work has gone awry, making monsters, warping their minds and their environment. It is my second favorite all time escape.

Game I am playing most at this time is Urban Terror an online shooter. Why I play it has to do with eccentricities of login &cetera and mod making, learning using them and the individual characteristics of weapons and trajectories. The package excites me beyond the sum of its parts.

Nuff Said,
DL

CharlesA
October 28th, 2013, 02:35 AM
I'm just going to pull rank and change the title slightly.

I'm hooked on Borderlands 2 atm. :D

rosswmcgee
October 29th, 2013, 02:35 AM
World War 2 Silent Service// I use dosbox to run it.

andyfied
October 29th, 2013, 11:51 AM
For time consumed: Kerbal Space Program. My Lubuntu box is probably unable to run it so I've not tried yet.

Tie Fighter has provided many fond memories as has Half Life 2, Guild Wars (still undecided on Guild Wars 2 currently) and Kingdom of Loathing.

I am currently also enjoying Dust: An Elysian Tale and The Stanley Parable.

intealliance
November 18th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Forbidden Kingdom

I used to play Pacman on an old computer during my childhood days. Then there comes a Family Computer where I get to play Super Mario Brothers, Contra, and Top Gun.
I missed these old games.

perrshp
November 18th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I like The Elder Scrolls Skyrim.
Skyrim is perfect RPG game!

Dragonbite
November 19th, 2013, 03:35 PM

Ok, I've lost more than just a few hours of sleep due to this...

Allavona
November 19th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Currently it is Neverwinter. Hours have been lost so that I may have my limbs whithered! And the Skyrim references are plentiful. Some of the bad guys scream "arrow to the knee!" There are others, but why spoil it!

leeper69
November 19th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Hi I only use Linux so I would say the best Linux free game is nexis.
the best pay for it game would be wolfenstine 3d.

CharlesA
November 20th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I got sucked into Far Cry 3 the other day. So far it hasn't let go.

istvan3
November 21st, 2013, 10:25 PM
Bzflags :-)

The story is fantastic. You drop into a closed battlefield. You die all the time if a team player was hit by genoicide flag holder from the opposite team. You search for good weapons , you can only hold one at the same time. Very fast playing. Hardcore. You wold never have time to relax and enjoy fantastic graphics. :-)

Years ago, Diablo 1 was my favorite game..

lemort
November 23rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Last time I played any PC/video games was about 10 years ago :D but I loved Thief II.
Been thinking about getting into gaming again, but I keep procrastinating.

Alley_Oop
May 15th, 2014, 09:47 PM
I am one of the few game players with"good taste" and "amazing skills" so I prefer Fallout: New Vegas.