PDA

View Full Version : Linux in Thailand

motto2
September 7th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Hello to all, I have been living in Thailand for a long time, lots of laptops and plenty of people use them.
I would say that 90% of computers sold do not have operating system installed and people put on Linux, some already have Ubuntu installed.
Trying to find Distro's in rather hard as downloading big files not so easy.Some available from Blackmarket DVD sellers, although out dated.
Some places, such as Bangkok have reasonable internet connections, but in the backblocks of Issan (rural Thailand ) not much.
Ordering Distro by mail, equally hard as address's such as a street or road number far and few between.
Back in Australia for a month, downloaded heaps of Distro's for people to use.

That is my take on living in a third world country, open source for all to use.

Motto

PJs Ronin
September 7th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

Ahhh, Thai food..... drool!

motto2
September 7th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Hi and thanks for the welcome.

Food , mangoes $1 a kilo, hand of Banana"s $2, 600ml coke 30 cents.$4.00 in Australia.

Worst of all no herbs or vegetables, fit for consumption.

But I can read the newspaper.

mJayk
September 7th, 2013, 09:51 AM
wow sounds ace :)

cactus john
September 7th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Motto2, Sawadee!
you up in the northeast in the Realm?
I'm down here in Prachinburi, close to Korat.
Life in the jungle.
):P

santosh83
September 7th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Great to hear Linux being adopted more! I'm from India, and while major cities and towns are fine, the same problem of connectivity in rural areas. Would have to travel to a city/town to download or buy a DVD. Here piracy of Windows is rampant, but my general impression is more and more young people are trying out Linux and dual-booting. But the mobile revolution has taken off in a big way here, and that would have once again set back open source software use, since even open source mobile OSes like Android are pretty locked down, and the capability to experiment and learn which you can so easily do with a desktop, less easily with laptop is much more difficult with a mobile device.

cactus john
September 7th, 2013, 07:20 PM
"Here piracy of Windows is rampant"

Same in Thailand.
When I first came to Thailand I went to Tesco/Lotus in Chiang Mai and bought a desktop computer. Sales folk asked if I wanted Vista or XP loaded up. I asked if I could have both on dual boot. No prob they said.
Both were pirated copies. :(
I shot off an email to Tesco/Lotus Thailand about it...never heard anything back. Same to the offices in the UK.
I'm currently back in Amerika for a short period, but before I left, I managed to get most of my family to switch to 'buntu....
Still working on the 3 others.

motto2
September 7th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Hi to all,
Cactus john, I am usually in Khon Kaen and Udon, have spent a lot of time near Korat previously, very central.
Tesco usually sell ******* for about 1800 baht W7 ($60) but it has to be activated in Asia.

Time for a coffee

Motto