PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Linux on Chromebook

paris2
September 7th, 2013, 03:00 AM
Thanks to the wonderful people at Lifehacker, I've managed to run Linux on my Chromebook, giving me access to many offline features that are not possible with Chrome OS. Three issues though:
1. A simple question. According to the guide on the Lifehacker site (linked below). I can use the program to run xfce and Unity. What's the difference?
2. I've been installing packages and software with no problem, but when I explain my form of Linux to a friend, I get blank stares when I say "Precise." What exactly is it? And what exactly is the form of Linux that I'm running? (The guide's pictures are spot-on with my display.)
3. For the first time in my life, I've seen what Ubuntu looks like on my friend's Acer laptop (actual name, I'm not sure.) It looked much more simple and elegant than my make-shift. With the orange background and the black applications bar (or whatever the thing is). Is there any way to get that on my make-shift Linux?

This is the link to the 'Linux on Chromebook' guide: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

This is the image of what I saw on my friend's laptop and fell in love with.

QIII
September 7th, 2013, 03:18 AM
1. Unity is the default Desktop Environment (DE) used by Ubuntu. There are many other DEs that can be installed and used interchangeably. In a sense DEs are just GUIs. Xfce is just another, much simpler and lighter, DE. Ubuntu comes in different flavors, sanctioned by Canonical but maintained by others, such as Xubuntu (Xfce), Lubuntu (LXDE), Kubuntu (which I use, with the KDE DE).

2. As for the OS you are using, we usually say it is Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. "Precise Pangolin" is the "code name" for version 12.04 -- the release that came out in the 4th month of 2012. You can see the history of releases here. (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases)

3. It looks like your friend has a pretty straightforward Ubuntu install (Unity) with some modifications and a different wallpaper.

If you would post a screenshot of your installation, you'll get dozens of responses with everyone's suggestions! ;)

Please use the attachment upload button above the text entry box to attach image files. The large files can make things difficult for those with low bandwidth connections and download quotas.

paris2
September 7th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Will do. But what do you mean by installation? Do you want the process? The background?

QIII
September 7th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Just a screenshot of the desktop.

paris2
September 7th, 2013, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure how that goes. After a quick Google search, a guide told me to either press PrtSc, but my Chromebook does not have that button. The same guide also said to try:

$ import -window root screenshot.png

Still doesn't work. The command line says 'bash: import: command not found'

But the Lifehackers guide shows what the desktop looks like. I didn't change anything since I finished the guide.