PDA

View Full Version : [xububtu] Xfce Desktop Question

Brianrh
September 6th, 2013, 10:32 AM
After running the latest xububtu live and being pleased with how well it ran on my laptop I installed it fully. The desktop set up on the live running version had a pleasing set up of panels, fonts, theme, etc but the full install default desktop was different. Is there a desktop config file that I could copy when running the live version to save and give me the same set up in the installed version or do I have to set everything by hand?

Thanks.

Brian

Mr.Dunham
September 7th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I've been using Xubuntu for years and I love it.

From the menu (you know, the mouse icon at the top left) go to Settings, then Settings Manager. From there, check out "Appearance" and "Window manager" so you can custonize appearance, and "Panel" for, well, panels. From there, it's pretty easy and straightforward to set up everything the way you saw t before installing. Also, don't forget to check out "Additional drivers" under the "Settings" menu, sometimes things just don't look right until you activate the recommended drivers for your computer.

From there, you should be able to set everything up soon and easily, best thing about Xubuntu (besides of being lightweight) is that it's still fully customizable by hand. Anything else, just ask... someone should come up with a proper reply.

Just one last thing: I'm on Xubuntu 12.04.3, the latest LTS version; I don't know if the latest "normal" release made significant changes, but even in that scenario, you should be able to figure it out pretty soon.

carl4926
September 7th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Just for the record. I never noticed any difference in the Live desktop > Installed version.
Makes me wonder if you might be using a separate /home partition that hasn't been formatted from using a different install?

Mr.Dunham
September 7th, 2013, 08:07 AM
@carl4926: in my case, same as you, I never noticed any differences between Live / installed versions; but my guess is it depends on the different set-ups we all have... let's see what the OP says. Thanks for your feedback.

Buntu Bunny
September 7th, 2013, 10:48 AM
That makes three of us, and, in fact, has been the case with every version of Ubuntu I've installed. What one sees on the live CD is what one gets. Curious question.

Erik1984
September 7th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Maybe the live version used open source drivers for the GPU and during the installation the proprietary drivers might have been installed. That's a possible difference between the live session and installed session.

Brianrh
September 7th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Thank you gents for all your replies. I will try to answer your questions and fill some gaps.

When running the Live version I get two panels. One horizontal panel at the top of the screen shows the time, battery state, notifications, etc. Then a hidden one at the bottom with the quick launch icons. The appearance was Greybird, elementary xfce dark and Droid Sansand font. When I did install proper I got one panel at the bottom of the screen with notications, etc in it.

Mr Dunham
I followed your advice and after booting up in the Live Version I noted the appeartance settings then went back to the installed version and set these the same. However I couldn't find the "Additional Drivers" in the "Settings".

carl4926
I have a separate /home partion that I have had for a while during my distro walkabout trying Manjaro, Crunchbang, and currently Mint 15. It never occured that this might have some influence on my desktop.

I have a 5-6 year old HP laptop with a Celeron processor. With any fancy desktops it slows right down and feels "clunky" but with Openbox and Xfce desktops runs very nicely. I loved Crunchbang but had problems with vanilla Debian with some programs I wanted to run. Xububtu at the moment seems to be a good compromise and the number of packages available and the amount of information and help on the forum cannot be bettered.

Thanks guys.

Brian

naildownx
September 7th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Make sure to dig into all the panel options. They are amazing! Xfce is my favorite DE because of it's flexibility and lightweight structure.