PDA

View Full Version : Programs?

ncFP8RY
September 5th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Can anyone tell me how to set up menus and/or desktop icons for all applications. The default installation hides everything.

QIII
September 5th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Hello!

Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

Can you give us a screenshot so we can see if what you are getting is what is expected?

3rdalbum
September 5th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Menus: Inside an application, move your mouse to the top panel to reveal the menus.

Desktop icons for all applications: Ubuntu has always been reluctant to dump program icons on your desktop. You can access your programs by right-clicking the Ubuntu icon and choosing "Applications"; then you can click Filter Results to choose certain categories to look at, or just click "See more results" to look at them all. You can drag these programs to the bar on the side (the "Launcher") to have them easy to access.

ncFP8RY
September 5th, 2013, 04:51 AM
I cant give you a screen capture because I cant find any programs (including screen capture). Its just an empty brown area with no desktop icons and no program menu. There is a bar on the left with a wheel icon (search), folder icon (home) and a firefox icon. Searching for "screen capture" gives me "Sorry, there is nothing that matches your search".

And I am not sure what you mean by "expected". I would have "preferred" desktop icons (like all proper GUIs have) and I didn't "expect" the UI to be an obfuscated command line.

ncFP8RY
September 5th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Thanks for your help, that's exactly what I needed to know and sorts me out nicely. "Mike's Desktop", here I come !

"Reluctant to dump" suggests you have bought into the obfuscation story :) but I prefer to not waste time ******* around with fashionable UI statements - a PC is just a tool and the UI should facilitate my requirements not force me into this month's la-la land.

r_avital
September 5th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Just FYI, for screen-dumps, you can hit the print-screen key, it should show you a window that lets you save a screen-capture in any folder you have access to, under any name you like. Alt+PrintScreen will capture only the active application window. If I remember correctly, that's how Windows does it as well. There's no special application for it that's installed by default (there many be some that you could install later, but you won't find it on a fresh install).

I only mention it, because there are times when it can be very useful for everyone to see a screen-capture, in order to offer better and more accurate help.