PDA

View Full Version : I'm Really Liking Wengophone 2.0 Beta

Johnsie
July 17th, 2006, 12:47 AM
I've been checking out the nigtly builds of Wengophone 2 and it's looking to be a great alternative to gAIm.

What i like about it:

-It looks nice
-It supports AOL/ICQ, MSN, JABBER, GOOGLE and Yahoo
-It supports audio/video
-You can do PC-Phone (similar to skypeout)
-It's open source
-It can send sms messages

You can find more info at:
http://wengo.com

Or you can download nightly builds from:
http://wengofiles.wengo.fr/nightlybuilds/binary/NG/GNULinux/

Eversmann
July 17th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Indeed looks great :-D I didn't know about this program. Downloading to give it a try!

Thanks for the info.

GuitarHero
July 17th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Looks nice, and I do hate gaim

Carrots171
July 17th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Great-looking piece of software. It should be added to the Ubuntu repositories, if possible.

papangul
July 17th, 2006, 05:18 AM
It's user interface is very easy to grasp.

Johnsie
July 17th, 2006, 07:52 AM
I find it a breeze and less resource hoggy than gaim. Definitely a million times better looking too. I hope they put it in the repos soon. They probably wont until it is ready for public release though which I guess is understandable. I'd like for it to come default with Ubuntu instead of gaim, maybe with edgy.

JimmyJazz
July 17th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I like gaim much better.

Mathias-K
July 17th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I just tried the WinXP RC1. I have a question, though:

Where do you change the visual layout of the IM contact list? I want to only see my contacts' nicknames and I also want to see their display pictures by default.

Also, wouldn't there be tons of different skins and layout options with a FOSS client like this? I can't find anything other than the default look for 2.0 RC1. Perhaps this is Linux only?

Thanks for the heads up, though! :)

Johnsie
July 24th, 2006, 04:24 AM
I'm not too sure about all the features in it. I just know that I like it. I guess for the skins issue, since they're still developing the IM client they probably haven't put much thought into skins yet. I dont know if that's planned or not. There's a lot of things that are missing but I still think this is one prject to watch. Gaim is ok but I personally prefer this program for looks,mulimedia and system resource usage. It's good that we can have several clients to choose between. Windows users are lucky because they have a much bigger selection of IM clients.

bailout
July 24th, 2006, 02:00 PM
How do you install this on ubuntu? I use wngo on windows and managed to get it setup on breezy but the old version in the repos doesn't work on kubuntu (no sound from microphone).

Note360
July 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM
THEIR IS NO PPC VERSION and as apple drops support for PPC some users will move to Linux.

garoth
January 30th, 2007, 05:20 AM
A few things:

1) To people that say that you hate Gaim:
1) Try Beta Gaim, it is a great improvement and very difficult to dislike
2) You're dumb because Wengo uses Gaim to do the IM stuff for all the other clients. Its just Gaim with a different look.

2) Wengo is a great program, and in fact more capable than Skype. I am very happy to see this because I never did find a good way to video with Windows people until now. :D

r00tzz
January 31st, 2007, 12:32 AM
It's in the repos now!!

WinterWeaver
January 31st, 2007, 12:48 AM
Wow looks like a really awsome replacement for skype ( i do not like Skype at al >.<)

gonna give it a go when I get home.

Sef
January 31st, 2007, 12:57 AM
It's in the repos now!!

There is a Wengophone in the repos; however, it is an older version (.99 I believe), and much less functional than 2.0 beta.

banjobacon
January 31st, 2007, 01:57 AM
When I last tried Wengo, it could only communicate with other Wengo users over SIP. Have they openned up to communicating with other SIP servers yet, or not?

cvmostert
February 28th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I use wengo... still figuring out how ti sip to other sip accounts...

Sammi
March 1st, 2007, 01:09 AM
Wengophone is based on Gaim: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaim#libgaim

Mostly all the backend is Gaim. The frontend(GUI) is based on QT(same as the KDE desktop environment), and Wengophone should run on mostly all desktop environments and operating systems.

Anyway if you haven't tried the beta of Gaim version 2.0, then please stop saying that Gaim sucks. The beta is very stable right now and the third edition of it is included in Edgy Eft. The newest beta(number 6) should be even more stable and functional, and you can have a look here for installation instructions: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=359466

sdowney717
May 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
aMSN works well

If you want a voip using your phone, sign up with sunrocket.
$199 for the entire year and unlimited calls.

potrick
May 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hey guys, I don't know if you noticed this but there's an open source version of this client too. They intend to eventually include other VoiP's and even Google Talk audio at some point. This is certainly worth watching.

Check it out.
http://www.openwengo.org/

Anyone feel like building packages?

Lucifiel
May 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM
A pretty newbie question:

Will Wengophone support Skype userids in the future? ;p

Sorry, I can't remember what's VOIP and SIP, mind in pure chaos. :P

tata_tata
August 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM
thanks for you

grashdur
October 6th, 2008, 03:09 AM
WengoPhone looks like it could be great, but I've never been able to get it to work. On both of my computers, on both Windows and Ubuntu, for the past half a year Wengo totally ignores incoming calls, and outgoing calls either fail to go out or are dropped after a few seconds. I have the impression that Wengo must have gone out of business or dropped the project entirely: sloppy website full of typos, and the program consistently doesn't work. I've tried setting up Wengo for another service, but the program did not have the necessary codecs available.

On the other hand, Gizmo seems to work all right, as does Skype, except that volume control for Skype is problematic, and the features available for Windows are not there for Linux. Twinkle works very nicely, though the interface is not so friendly.

If Wengo ever gets fixed it might be fun to use.

bailout
October 6th, 2008, 07:19 AM
The company behind wengophone stopped supporting it some time ago. There was talk about it being adopted by someone else but I don't think it came to anything. I think it is basically dead.

I used it on win and linux for a while and it worked pretty well. I don't think its basic tech was as good as skype, the development seemed to get stuck in a never ending beta stage and it just never gained enough market share.

UbuWu
October 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM
The company behind wengophone stopped supporting it some time ago. There was talk about it being adopted by someone else but I don't think it came to anything. I think it is basically dead.

Here it is:
http://www.qutecom.org/

Sef
October 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Here it is:
http://www.qutecom.org/

thanks for the link.