PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Questions about 13.04

Jorge_Gonzalez
September 3rd, 2013, 02:10 AM
Hello, I just deleted Windows 8 and installed Ubuntu 13.04, and I was wondering about downgrading to 12.04 LTS because apparently 13.04 will only be supported until January 2014. CAn someone shed some light on this? Is there any benefit to having the LTS? Or should I just wait to upgrade to 14.04?

Thank you

QIII
September 3rd, 2013, 02:17 AM
Hello!

Unfortunately, there is no "downgrade path" short of simply doing a clean install.

The problem with waiting until 14.04 is that then non-LTS releases have a support life shortened to 9 months now. You would be unsupported for 3 months unless you go through 13.10.

I'm running 13.04 and plan to do a fresh install at 13.10.

If you don't want to go through the trouble and you haven't done much and haven't much to lose, you could install 12.04. But the effect is the same, really. At this point, either way would be a re-install before 14.04 is released. Going the 12.04 route does have the benefit of the current stability of Precise.

How's that for a rock solid answer with no equivocation? ;)

Cheers!

Jorge_Gonzalez
September 3rd, 2013, 02:38 AM
So should I update to 13.10 and then to 14.04 LTS? Would that be the best route?

QIII
September 3rd, 2013, 02:48 AM
Hmmmm...

I'm not going to say what "the best way" is. What I might do is based on what I know and my confidence.

You have some potential challenges with Ubuntu in 13.10 in the fact that 13.10 will use xmir instead of xorg. I'm not sure how that will all pan out, but the world is rarely without some sort of unexpected hiccups and burps.

I guess now that I think of it, 12.04 is stabe and supported for 3 1/2 more years. You would not have to worry about upgrading unless you really wanted to. There is some peace of mind there. You can directly upgrade from LTS to LTS (sometimes that has to wait until the new LTS gets its first "point" release). So if you install 12.04 you can upgrade to 14.04 when the time is right.

If you are new to this and want to just have the least troublesome experience, perhaps it would not be a bad idea to install 12.04 for the sake of ease of use for a while.

Jorge_Gonzalez
September 3rd, 2013, 03:18 AM
I do not personally mind upgrading a few times if that's what you mean by "troublesome experience". I think I'll stay on 13.04, and wait for 13.10 and 14.04, I feel well established here already and I don't want to start anew.

Thank you for the input!