PDA

View Full Version : programming for phone apps?

garyed
September 2nd, 2013, 04:43 PM
I've done some simple calculators in php & javascript & would like to try to make some phone apps. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 as my base OS so I'm trying to get some ideas like what software I need to get started. Any ideas or recommendations appreciated.

3v3rgr33n
September 2nd, 2013, 05:01 PM
Are you mentioning php & javascript because you want to use them for phone development?

What kind of phone do you want to develop for -- smart,feature phone or (smart feature phones like the Nokia Asha 501)?

garyed
September 2nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Are you mentioning php & javascript because you want to use them for phone development?

What kind of phone do you want to develop for -- smart,feature phone or (smart feature phones like the Nokia Asha 501)?

I'm assuming Android for now since Apple is a little restrictive from what I gather.

I mentioned php & javascript because I'm already familiar with them & have written quite a few small web based programs already with them.
I'd like to be able to incorporate MYSQL too if that's possible.

fadhil-hakadir
September 3rd, 2013, 02:21 AM
hi, I developed an android app for my final year project using Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/) IDE + ADT Plugin (http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/eclipse-adt.html) + sqlite. this tutorial (http://www.vogella.com/articles/Android/article.html) is a great place to start imo. to the best of my knowledge, android development is mostly in java or c.

or maybe you can develop something for ubuntu (http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/) . I havent tried this tho, but should be interesting!

anyways, good luck!

garyed
September 3rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the tips

r-senior
September 3rd, 2013, 05:16 PM
I'm assuming Android for now since Apple is a little restrictive from what I gather.
Buy a Mac, run Mac OS X on it, sign up to the iOS developer program at $99/pa, write in Objective-C using Xcode and submit your apps for approval.

What's restrictive about that? ;)

garyed
September 3rd, 2013, 09:25 PM
Buy a Mac, run Mac OS X on it, sign up to the iOS developer program at $99/pa, write in Objective-C using Xcode and submit your apps for approval.

What's restrictive about that? ;)

1 - I've got to buy a Mac
2- I've got to pay $99 per app if i understand what pa means
3- I've got to have my apps approved
4 - Good thing there isn't a 4 because I would probably have give them either my first born or the deed to my house.
Maybe restricive was a poor choice of words, "jump through hoops" would be a better description.

I'm sure it's just the price of doing business if you're doing it for a living & making money but for getting started it seems a little over kill.

r-senior
September 3rd, 2013, 09:40 PM
It was a tongue in cheek reply but pa was per annum, not per app.

3v3rgr33n
September 6th, 2013, 12:16 AM
1 - I've got to buy a Mac
2- I've got to pay $99 per app if i understand what pa means
3- I've got to have my apps approved
4 - Good thing there isn't a 4 because I would probably have give them either my first born or the deed to my house.
Maybe restricive was a poor choice of words, "jump through hoops" would be a better description.

I'm sure it's just the price of doing business if you're doing it for a living & making money but for getting started it seems a little over kill.

Lol. I second sticking to Android, unless you're trying make loads of money (in which case, iOS is probably the way to go). I'm an android dev and I'm not making tons of money (I'm not making anything for that matter). Plus, you sorta don't need to pay to distribute android apps via the Amazon app store.

Learning Java is the better way to go 'coz then you can develop for both J2me and Android.

ofnuts
September 6th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Lol. I second sticking to Android, unless you're trying make loads of money (in which case, iOS is probably the way to go). I'm an android dev and I'm not making tons of money (I'm not making anything for that matter).

Most IOS app developers don't either...

3v3rgr33n
September 6th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Why would anyone go to the trouble of buyin a Mac, paying $99 and learning Objective-C when you're not gonna make truck loads of money?

To me it seems like the only one gaining from that is Apple.

ofnuts
September 6th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Why would anyone go to the trouble of buyin a Mac, paying $99 and learning Objective-C when you're not gonna make truck loads of money?

People buy lottery tickets... :)