PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade of ubuntu 11.04 natty

kronk2
September 2nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
hello, I have an old release of ubuntu (11.04 natty) so I cannot get package by sudo apt-get install <package>. I think this problem come from the version of ubuntu installed on my computer. So I tried to upgrade, but I get error:
Your ubuntu release is not supported anymore
in the update manager. So I would like to get help from you about this upgrade. I tried to search on google, I found this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

but when I click on the link corresponding to my release, the page doesn't exists anymore. Please help me. Kronk. And sorry for my bad english, I'm french.

QIII
September 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Hello and welcome to the Forums!

There is an "approved" way to upgrade from EOL versions, but I really recommend against it. Too much can go wrong and problems can compound -- leaving you with a useless system.

For reference, the process is detailed here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades).

What I would recommend instead, however, is that you back up all of your important data and do a fresh install of a currently supported version. If you have a separate /home partition, this can be done without disturbing it. But back up anyway.

If you reinstall at this point, I would go with 12.04 (Precise), which is a Long Term Support (LTS) version. If you install the current release, you will have to upgrade at least once before the next LTS version is released.

Best wishes!

kronk2
September 2nd, 2013, 09:20 AM
so you recommand me to reintall linux completely?
ok I will do it.
but when I have the iso file, can i upgrade from my release of ubuntu or have I to desinstall my release then install 12.04?

QIII
September 2nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Is Ubuntu the only OS you have installed?

kronk2
September 2nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
no my principal OS is Windows.
I want to discover linux, but I have an old live cd (release 11.04)
So I have installed this yesterday, and I saw that this release is old.

QIII
September 2nd, 2013, 09:36 AM
How did you install Ubuntu? My question is deliberately vague. If you could, I'd like you to tell me as much detail as possible.

sudodus
September 2nd, 2013, 09:44 AM
no my principal OS is Windows.
I want to discover linux, but I have an old live cd (release 11.04)
So I have installed this yesterday, and I saw that this release is old.

You are getting excellent coaching from QIII, so maybe my 2 cents are not necessary, but anyway, here they come:

Since you installed Ubuntu 11.04 yesterday, I would recommend that you just overwrite it with the version 12.04 LTS. That is much easier than upgrading, because you have probably not done much tweaking or created many personal files yet.

kronk2
September 2nd, 2013, 09:57 AM
I installed Ubuntu with a live cd someone gave me few time ago. but I just finish to download the 12.04 LTS now, and I will clear partitions on which ubuntu 11.04 is installed. then I will install the new release.
thank you for your help.