PDA

View Full Version : Lead in charger cables?

NoBugs!
September 1st, 2013, 07:50 AM
Greetings all,

I was recently considering some Lenovo laptops (Labor day sale), and saw a notice in the manual of several Thinkpad models saying there is lead in the charging cables, you must wash your hands after handling cables.

I also heard this was a problem with Toshibas, is this a common problem to EVERY computer manufacturer? I noticed the G700 had no such warning, would that mean it's lead-free?

prodigy_
September 1st, 2013, 12:31 PM
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/cancer-warning-labels-based-on-californias-proposition-65

hg-knight
September 1st, 2013, 12:32 PM
arnt the cables plastic covered and sealed

tgalati4
September 1st, 2013, 03:44 PM
Christmas lights have the same problem. Any wire that is drawn through a die might have lead, since lead is used to make the dies. Steel is too sharp and cuts the wire. It's a good idea to wash your hands after handling wire.

Although you will pay more, look for "Organic" laptops.

deadflowr
September 1st, 2013, 05:23 PM
I'm guessing you'll be fine, as long as you don't go off biting through the cord.

And besides lead's everywhere anyway.
Depending on the age of the building you're in, you could be surrounded by thick layers of the stuff inside your walls.

s1wood
September 3rd, 2013, 05:22 PM
Quote from the article > The bigger hazard is likely to be for toddlers and babies who put wires in their mouths.<
Chewing electric cables has more immediate hazards than consumption of minute quantities of lead!

NoBugs!
September 26th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I inquired at Dell and System76 - they say they do not use any Lead in their cables. According to Lenovo, the reference to lead cables was something else, not included chargecable.