PDA

View Full Version : IamNewToLinux

amjjawad
August 31st, 2013, 09:00 PM
Hi,

A New Project to Help NEW COMERS to Linux World:

Here you go: http://iamnewtolinux.blogspot.com/p/master-plan.html

The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, such as you might find around a water cooler at work.

Most topics which are not technical support requests may be discussed here. The exceptions are those discussions which would be better posted in the new Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat sub-forum. Also, discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, since they have caused serious problems in the past. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!

Having the above quoted message posted on The Cafe Sub-Forum, I hope I am posting on the correct forum and there is no problem with that :)

tgalati4
August 31st, 2013, 09:07 PM
At this point, most users will just buy an iPad and bypass the whole PC Desktop/Laptop/notebook paradigm.

llanitedave
September 1st, 2013, 04:17 AM
A lot of those will end up with a tablet/phone AND a laptop. I agree that desktops are fading, but I think laptops are still going pretty strong.

Buntu Bunny
September 1st, 2013, 04:32 PM
Well, I wish you luck. I'll check in from time to time to see how it's going.

amjjawad
September 1st, 2013, 10:58 PM
I am afraid I disagree. The era of PC (Desktop and Laptop) is still alive despite the fact that most of users seem so much passionate about 'touch' stuff but old school like me, still prefer a PC (Desktop and/or Laptop) and we are many, I am not the only one :)

By the way, my blog is 80%-90% done. You can have a look now :)

This project will help the user to migrate from Windows XP to Ubuntu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu) and its variants when Microsoft pull the plug soon.

This project in general should be the first step of a new user who is coming from Windows.

And, that is not everything. I have yet another project in mind. It is the very next step of IamNewToLinux :)

Thank you!

cortman
September 3rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
No one will force a post-PC world into existence. For actual work and productivity it is still impossible to beat laptops/desktops for many fields.

amjjawad
September 5th, 2013, 08:46 AM
For actual work and productivity it is still impossible to beat laptops/desktops for many fields.

+1

Strongly agree!

PJs Ronin
September 5th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Back in the late 80s I was involved with a major Defence (spelling is correct) IT project. All us young (*cough*) folks were opting for a distributed database, but the 'old timers' were hard to convince otherwise and were backing a centralized mainframe. Finally, I bailed up one of these crusty old public service IT gurus and asked "what's the big deal with mainframes?". He just said "storage and power son, storage and power."

From what I see now, and on the horizon, nothing you activate with your fingers is going to knock lappies and desktops off their perch. Each will find their niche.

amjjawad
September 20th, 2013, 03:06 PM
From what I see now, and on the horizon, nothing you activate with your fingers is going to knock lappies and desktops off their perch. Each will find their niche.

+1
I share the same opinion and I too see that and think it might need another 10 years (less or more) to stop using desktops and laptops :)

amjjawad
February 14th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Hi,

Thought to post an update (http://iamnewtolinux.blogspot.com/p/contact-us.html) just to let the world know that this project is not dead but rather alive and doing well :)

On another topic, I noticed that people at my neighbourhood (which I have started to convert to Linux (http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2014/01/2014-report-project-convert-my.html)) are having lots of old machine and almost everyone is using iPhone or iPad or iWhatever and they are leaving their old machine for the dust.

Can't really tell you how happy and excited they felt when they saw something was breathing dust that started to work as fast as their new machines, not to mention even better :)

I still remember someone told me that he was about to buy an Apple (Mac) device with over 2000 USD just because his old PC Desktop stopped working. Well, with a little of cleaning the dust on the fan, checked the battery of the BIOS and some steps and the machine is back to life :)

Thank you!

P.S.
The era of the PCs/Laptops are still fine and doing well, just for the record :)