PDA

View Full Version : User/Name Missing in Indicator Applet Session

BarryD9545
August 31st, 2013, 05:24 PM
Hey all-

Running 13.04 Gnome Fallback.

When I first add Indicator Applet Session to my panel, it only shows the icon for the drop down menu, not the User/Name.
If I move the applet from one panel to another, the User/Name appears.
A LogOut or Reboot makes it vanish again, and I need to move the applet from one panel to another to make the name show again.

Any Help?

Thanks!

ibjsb4
August 31st, 2013, 07:43 PM
Ok, weird

I think what your talking about is the 'user menu' thats in the indicator-applet and part of indicator-applet-complete.

Try reinstalling the indicator-applet in terminal (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal#In_Gnome).

sudo apt-get install --reinstall indicator-applet

If that doesn't work, see if it will reset in terminal without moving it.

killall gnome-panel

Frogs Hair
August 31st, 2013, 08:38 PM
Show real name in panel can be toggled on and off in the dconf editor under apps > indicator session .

d-cosner
August 31st, 2013, 09:50 PM
Show real name in panel can be toggled on and off in the dconf editor under apps > indicator session .

Hey, thanks for this little gem! Now I have Unity in 12.04 looking nicer and more like the current version. The panel looks much cleaner now and I saw no reason to have my full name displayed. Anyway, thanks a lot for the tip.

BarryD9545
September 1st, 2013, 12:38 AM
Ok, weird

I think what your talking about is the 'user menu' thats in the indicator-applet and part of indicator-applet-complete.

Try reinstalling the indicator-applet in terminal (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal#In_Gnome).

sudo apt-get install --reinstall indicator-applet

If that doesn't work, see if it will reset in terminal without moving it.

killall gnome-panel

No, it's not the indicator-applet-complete, this is the indicator-applet-session,
I'm using it instead of the complete (I like the clock elsewhere).

I did try the re-install but it didn't make a difference..

Here are images so you can see which applet I'm referring to, and with/without the name.

On initial add or after
restart/relogin:

After moving the applet to
another panel and back again:

I've seen the toggle in dconf, but I'm of the unfounded belief that if the show-real-name-on panel toggle is off,
that it should always show the user name, and not just after I move it between panels, eh?

ibjsb4
September 1st, 2013, 01:04 AM
I installed session just to see if I could duplicate your problem. Couldn't do it, works ok for me. Did you try reinstalling indicator-applet-session?

On mine you will notice I have an extra icon to the right of name (host). I have seen dumb things work before :) Place another icon/launcher to the right of your session, see what happens.

BarryD9545
September 1st, 2013, 02:33 AM
I installed session just to see if I could duplicate your problem. Couldn't do it, works ok for me. Did you try reinstalling indicator-applet-session?

On mine you will notice I have an extra icon to the right of name (host). I have seen dumb things work before :) Place another icon/launcher to the right of your session, see what happens.

You have the applet called (in the Add Panel) User Menu. I'm referring to Indicator Applet Session.
The call out next to your username is the tell. Mine has a power gear.
But I did try the "icon to the right" trick...no luck.

I did try the re-install on my applet (session), I didn't make that clear above.

it's the little things that make me crazy. <sigh>

ibjsb4
September 1st, 2013, 04:12 AM
You have the applet called (in the Add Panel) User Menu. I'm referring to Indicator Applet Session.
The call out next to your username is the tell. Mine has a power gear.

Yes, i do understand. The one in red next to my user menu is the 12.04 version of Indicator Applet Session, which like I said, works ok. Unlike yours :( I am out of ideas, if I think of anything else I will post back. Good luck

BarryD9545
September 1st, 2013, 06:08 AM
I have 12.10.5.

That must be why yours (which doesn't look red on my side) has a man icon, and mine has a gear...eh?

Thanks for trying, though.