PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update to 12.04 now no gui

Twiggypottox
August 31st, 2013, 08:17 AM
After updating in 12.04 I get a terminal screen After giving username and p/w I then get a terminal prompt. How do I get back to the GUI? And then complete the update.

grahammechanical
August 31st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Why do you say?

And then complete the update.

Was the update prevented from finishing? That may make a difference to the advice given.

1) At the Grub menu select Recovery Mode. That will bring you to the Recovery Menu.
2) Select Network. That will read the connection information in Network Manager and establish an Internet connection, and then take you back to the Recovery Menu.
3) Select Root. That will give you a root prompt. Now run

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

You do not need sudo in this case. That will complete the update. Now run

exit

That will bring you back to the Recovery Menu. Select Resume. That may get you to a desktop but it will be without using a proprietary video driver. If the update brought in an update to the Linux kernel you may need to activate a proprietary video driver. You can do that from Additional Drivers utility. The real test of course is when you shutdown and reboot. What happens then?

Regards.

Twiggypottox
August 31st, 2013, 02:03 PM
Thands Grahmmechanical,

I said and then complete the update because before the promplt it said :

6 packages can be updated
0 updates are security

I ran update & upgrade exit and re-boot per your instructions,

the update took, I am now back at the prompt.

inplace of the 6 packages.... there is now Welcome to ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS (3.2.0.52 i686)
it is also a dual boot setup
It may be worth noting that my original install of 12.04.3 was over kubuntu, (I still get the blue boot screen) it is also a dual boot setup with win7 On one HDD

How do I start the GUI?

thanks in advance.

ibjsb4
August 31st, 2013, 02:37 PM
Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 at the same time. Will this get you to terminal? If so, try:

startx

The way I am reading your post, this was a version upgrade to 12.04. Am I right?

Twiggypottox
August 31st, 2013, 03:27 PM
ibjsb4,

thanks for responding, to answer you questions;

It was supposed to be a simple update of the type regularly done and prompted by the system. I had previously upgraded to 12.04.3 sucessfully.

The update had some 50 files and when it finished i was at a terminal prompt saying there were 6 files to install. somehow it lost the ability to get to a gui / or x.

Now running startx gives a no screens found error , fatal error module nvidia173 not found etc.

ibjsb4
August 31st, 2013, 04:06 PM
Sounds like you did a partial upgrade (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859240) and your nvidia driver did not get installed.

Twiggypottox
August 31st, 2013, 04:27 PM
My intent was to update. stay with the lts version. Something somehow apparently felt differently. where do I find a guide to install the nvidia driver or otherwise get this problem child back on track. I am not a wiz at at the command line but can follow instructions.

ibjsb4
August 31st, 2013, 06:51 PM
Try this in terminal

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Twiggypottox
August 31st, 2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks again, ibjsb4,

Ran the update and upgrade as suggested. no new files added or installed. I'm still in the same place as before, no x no desktop gui. my username and password take and I get the command line. x wont start, errors per above: ( a no screens found error , fatal error module nvidia173 not found etc.)

this install has been repeatedly upgraded and updated since at least 11.4 is it time to just start over with a clean new install?

ibjsb4
August 31st, 2013, 07:46 PM
this install has been repeatedly upgraded and updated since at least 11.4 is it time to just start over with a clean new install?

That would be a very good idea :)

Twiggypottox
September 2nd, 2013, 05:17 AM
And most likely a time saver. Thanks for your efforts.