PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Boot Failed" (From Lexar USB) 2008 Gateway Comp (Vista Home Premium)

orangeman555
August 31st, 2013, 04:44 AM
I've attempted to install 32 Bit ubuntu (12.04) onto my dinosour machine (2008) using the directions outlined here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick). I used Unetbutin instead of the basic method after a few failed tries, but generally ends the same way "Boot Failed"

Ultimately I'm trying to install Ubuntu on my dino comp to begin my own windows exodus...but sadly it appears somethings hardwired into the machine to making "letting go" extra hard :D

I've also attempted to reformat my 4 gig Lexar USB several times in different ways, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

VMC
August 31st, 2013, 06:19 AM
Are you doing all this using Vista? I'm interested in that particular usb stick. I have one, and under the wrong kernel it will not mount.
It appears your not even getting that far. Have you tried downloading and using the HP USB formatting (http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-127-hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool) tool? That's what I use under Windows 7.

orangeman555
August 31st, 2013, 06:33 AM
I could try doing the preliminary stuff in Windows - so far I've just been preparing it all on my other ubuntu (dual boot) comp.

sudodus
August 31st, 2013, 02:33 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

I think that you need to test if the problem is the pendrive or the computer (or a combination which happens but is unusual).

- Try the pendrive in another computer: Will it boot properly to a live system? Did you check with md5sum, that the download was good?

- Try to boot (your machine from 2008) with another pendrive or with a CD/DVD.

A machine from 2008 should have no problems with Ubuntu 12.04, although a flavour with a lighter footprint might be better. You can also get problems with a graphics or wifi chip/card. And Unetbootin is usually doing a good job. So

- Please specify your computer, brand name and model, cpu, ram (size), and graphics or wifi chip/card.

- Please describe in detail, what happens when you try to boot! What happens, what is written to the screen, what sounds can you hear ...?