PDA

View Full Version : Let the games begin!

Welly Wu
August 30th, 2013, 03:57 AM
I've been a busy man today. I purchased the Humble Weekly Bundle and I paid above the average price to get the extra two PC games since only one of them is available for GNU/Linux. I also purchased a Steam for Linux PC game called Leisure Suit Larry: Land of the Lounge Lizards! I remember playing the classic Leisure Suit Larry PC games when I was a kid using my CompuAdd 386 SX+ desktop PC with Microsoft Windows 95 decades ago! This brought back a rush of old memories and laughter. I just had to get the updated version for Ubuntu Linux tonight.

I have become a PC gamer now.

I am still a media buff and I regularly purchase tons of movies, videos, electronic books, digital magazines, photographs, and music, but I decided that I had to become an Ubuntu PC gamer starting tonight. I have a System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) with Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64 bit and the Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU, but that should be sufficient for modern titles at moderate graphics settings. I plan to get a more modern System76 laptop PC in August 2014 when Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS 64 bit is released. I tend to purchase new PCs every two years to keep up to date.

Leisure Suit Larry is going to be a blast from my past! I am so looking forward to playing it! It's the first Ubuntu PC game that got me excited to play games again.

How many people remember this classic PC game?

I'm 36 years old so I am old enough to remember this title. Can't wait to play it all night long!

Petro Dawg
August 30th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Unfortunately I never got to that title as a kid. I do play Zork from time to time on my PC with DOSbox. Otherwise the SNES emulators are good for playing all the great RPGs of the 90's.

When I had a system that could handle it, I played Nexiuz (a "modern" Linux FPS) a lot with the screen name "a Grue" just to have the message pop up "You have been fragged by a Grue". However, I don't expect many would know that reference these days.

Welly Wu
August 30th, 2013, 04:17 AM
This new Leisure Suit Larry is a bit more involved than the classic version that I remember playing decades ago. It's more story driven and it's more humorous. The graphics are terrific and the plot line is interesting. I'm already falling in love with it. It brings back so many memories of just goofing around on my PC. I'm surprised it's available for Ubuntu Linux, but that's a good thing! I got it on sale for $13.39 USD. It's a bargain considering that I can play a classic PC game title from my childhood.

It's really funny with lots of jokes and gaffes.

Welly Wu
August 30th, 2013, 04:31 AM
I have Amnesia: Dark Descent. I just purchased Amnesia: Machine for Pigs for Steam for Ubuntu Linux. I got it on sale as a pre-order game. I'm looking forward to getting my PC gaming on! Ubuntu is an amazing operating system that can do almost everything that Microsoft Windows 8 can do.

Welly Wu
August 30th, 2013, 10:56 AM
What other Ubuntu PC game titles should I consider to purchase in the near future? I'm open to new ideas regardless of what type of game it is.

I'll list what I have later on. I like Sid Meier's Civilization V and Leisure Suit Larry and everything else in between.

I'm convinced that Humble Bundles are the best value to get a bunch of games for a very low cost. What about the Indie Royale games? Are they any good?

Welly Wu
August 30th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Nevermind. I've got the majority of the top titles in 2012 and 2013. I added Penumbra to my Steam wish list. I'll get it this Sunday or next Monday. I think that I'll get more Valve Source PC games.

I bought Portal 2, but it says it's not currently available for Linux users. Why is that? When will it become available?

Welly Wu
August 30th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I'm going to get the Valve complete pack and Penumbra next week. This is the best value pack available for so many Valve Source PC games.

DarkAmbient
August 30th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I remember Leisure Suit Larry. The first one is the only one I've tried actually. Played it on a 386 with a grayscale-monitor in the early 90ths. Guess I was to young to complete the game though.. was only 8-10 years old back then. I think I got laid with that first lady, and I used a condom as well. :-) Which (if I rememer correctly) if you did not you'd insta-die more or less, hehe.

Welly Wu
August 30th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Leisure Suit Larry Lounge of the Lizards is a complete make over the the classic PC game back in the day. It's awesome!

I will get the Valve Source Complete Pack later in September 2013 as a reward for myself. I paid a tremendous number of bills and debts this year. I'm nearing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll get the Penumbra pack next week. I guess that I am collecting Ubuntu PC horror games.

I got most of the other titles on the typical top 10 - 20 Ubuntu Linux PC games lists. I'm doing well at collecting what I don't have yet.

Welly Wu
September 1st, 2013, 04:24 AM
I got Penumbra and I got The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief today. I also got the Humble Weekly Bundle this week. I've been busy getting Ubuntu PC games lately. I think I'll get two titles per week or more.

I don't remember the original Leisure Suit Larry well enough to solve this reloaded version quickly. I have to watch YouTube videos to see how to win at this game.

coldraven
September 1st, 2013, 09:03 AM
I loved the LSL series but for total addiction try XQuest.
The pressure just builds and builds, the aliens get meaner and the sound effects are fantastic. You really do say "Phew!" as you escape a level.

It can run in Dosbox and you can still download it for free from here:
http://www.swallowtail.org/xquest/

Watch a few levels and see if you agree, by level 20 you are running scared and need all the power-ups that you can get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q6iPw4gKTU

Welly Wu
September 3rd, 2013, 01:44 AM
I'll be buying more PC games this week from Humble Bundle and Steam for Ubuntu Linux. Is there anything that I should look for that I haven't mentioned yet?

s1wood
September 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
It makes me feel very, very old when people start getting nostalgic about computer games they played as children!:(

Welly Wu
September 5th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Is Sid Meier's Civilization coming to Steam for Linux?