PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop zoomed out (icons partially not visible / task bar not visible)

groundnut
August 29th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I have installed Ubuntu 13.04 on a Zotac ZBOX ID88 mini PC.
It has Intel HD Graphics 2500. I also used the Intel Linux Graphics Installer.

At resolution 1920 x 1080 the desktop is zoomed out.
This is not the case with the 1600 x 900 resolution. Here no problem.

What could be the cause of the unwanted zoom at 1920 x 1080?

groundnut
September 1st, 2013, 07:34 PM
Could I solve this problem with Compiz?

mcduck
September 1st, 2013, 07:49 PM
What kind of display are you using? And what cable are you connecting with? It sounds like overscan, which some televisions might enable unless you specifically tell them that the connected device is a computer (usually either by using a computer-specific connector, or by enabling pixel-per-pixel mode).

So if it's a TV instead of a computer monitor, check the television's manual first. (and no, Compiz won't help you there, and while there are some ways to force the image to fit on Ubuntu's side, it's usually the display where this should be fixed)

groundnut
September 1st, 2013, 10:06 PM
I am using a Samsung TV as a display.

In the mean time I connected the ZBOX to my 24 inch (1920-1200) Samsung computer monitor.
At all three possible resolutions the zooming was stronger. The effect increased with higher resolution.

What does this tell us?

groundnut
September 2nd, 2013, 04:11 PM
thank you very much mcduck. I found a setting(full screen) on the TV. That did the trick.

However I now have a new problem.
At some sites I get a solid white screen after pushing the escape button while playing a flash video full screen.
The sound continues, but I have to restart the machine to solve the problem.

any ideas?