PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Linux should rock!

Derek Djons
July 16th, 2006, 09:03 PM
It was a turbulent week again. This week I decided to install SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop on my portable. I wanted to experience the fuzz and buzz which were broadcasted about the Linux distro.

SLED 10.2 was a fun ride I must add. The new Gnome menu might seem unlogical but if you think about it! It has it's uses and shortcut's.

Today was the day to switch back again. I've found my Ubuntu Linux 6.06 Dapper Drake CD-Rom somewhere in my closet and started installing it. During the boot till the first 'setup' screen I thought: "How about if I'm going to watch and memorize the whole bizz and relate it with installing Windows." Why Windows? Because it's still the number one Operating System being used these days.

Installation:
For a lot of people it's probably the most stupid thing they have seen. The blue with white and red installation screen of Debian Linux / Ubuntu Linux. But is it really? Nothing (for me) is so transparant and clearly understandable as the combination of blue, white and red. I've seen a lot of graphical installers which demand extra attention and a mouse. Installing Ubuntu Linux on my portable was a pleasure (without a mouse). For somebody who is installing Ubuntu Linux for the first time, the minimalistic setup pages are calm and steady. For experienced users the consistency will give them the possibility to 'automatically' memorize the setup pages and slide through them with amazing speed.

Also, during installation every option and word is being backed up by some HELP text. Wonderful! Only a real n00b can't install Ubuntu Linux (minus the hardware / compatibility issues). But eh! These people can't even install Windows.

Ubuntu Linux's Desktop:
So imagine. Somebody decides to forfeit Microsoft's Windows and switches to Ubuntu Linux. Welcome headache? NO! The easiest and best option is to switch in the weekend. At this time, the most people don't have work-related obilgations and it's relaxing time at home. Switching is all about being prepared and thinking logical. You don't have to abandon all your Windows knowledge as a switcher. In fact...! It might help. Also in Ubuntu Linux you have to deal with:

- making / editing / deleting folders.
- Creating / editing / deleting documents.
- Using menu's.
- Starting applications.
- Check preferences.
- Update!
- And more...

So if... being a former Windows user, or still Dual-booter you actually want to use your Windows knowledge to navigate in the world of Linux distro's.

Today I saw my Ubuntu's desktop again for the first time since a week. How more easy can a menu get! Instead of bulking everything under one 'start' menu Ubuntu has chosen to make three logical options in the menu. You really don't need a manual for that, just logical thinking.

The hardest part:

I honestly believe the most hardest part for switchers is evolving. Using pre-installed applications is one thing. But understanding the distro's in it's basic foundation is an other.

The key to victory is Synaptic and it's repositories. When you select all repositories available you'll be able to install more software than you could dream before as a switcher.

Synaptic let's the user:

- Search within all selected and added repositories for applications based on various search criteria.
- Install applications and needed dependecies with one single click.
- Reinstall or remove an application.
- Update (automatically) all the software which is installed by Synaptic.

Already a new user must be able to see the benefits above the methods which are being used by either Microsoft or Apple.

Another key to victory is Beagle & Deskbar. With this 'indexing' search tool and 'all-in-one' search applet your life becomes a breeze.

The Deskbar Applet searches everywhere for your input. Imagine typing Ubuntu. While your typing the applet start to search at:

- Your previous search history.
- Known applications.
- Address book.
- Email.
- Webpages.
- Files & Folders.
- Bookmarks.
- Dictionary.
- Google.
- Yahoo.
- And many more extensions you can add.

This way not only working because a breeze. But exploring Ubuntu Linux and learning about it's fundaments becomes easier. For instance, when you download a how-to and it states: "edit your fstab file" you'll be able to find it in a second. Just imagine.

In my opinion I covered two extremely important applications within Ubuntu Linux which make switching easier. Since the moment applications such as Thunderbird, Firefox and Open Office became availble under Windows it mean again the same thing. Switching will become easier since people already work with those applications.

So the only question remains is: "When will people give Ubuntu Linux a try and upgrade their $799 dollar portable or Desktop with an Distro which is far more better than today's leading Operating System.

Upgrade because of:

- UNIX based technology, Linux kernel (stability, security).
- Ease of use.
- Great (community) support.
- Open Source believes and creations.
- System demands and load.
- You name it!

djsroknrol
July 17th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Derek, that was great...a wonderful read..
I'm happy to be one of the first to honor it...

Bob