PDA

View Full Version : Officially supported web browsers

Welly Wu
August 27th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I found out that financial institutions such as banks and credit unions or trading firms, government agencies and bureaus or departments, military, most corporations of any size, and non-government organizations offically support Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. I ran into problems with the US Department of Education and PNC Bank while trying to create an online account to get my federal student loans discharged or cancelled and while trying to print my online bank statements while using Google's Chrome web browser. It was a frustrating experience using Google's Chrome web browser as it is not universally supported by these large entities, but I was able to do my business using Mozilla Firefox. Now, I see the wisdom behind Canonical's decision to support Mozilla Firefox in Ubuntu 13.10 and beyond.

I like Mozilla Firefox, but I find it not to be nearly as cutting edge as Google's Chrome web browser. Chrome is simple, fast, and secure and it supports hundreds of popular plug-ins, extensions, and apps in its own right within the Chrome web store. I use Google's Chrome web browser most of the time as I strongly prefer Google products and services, but I find that I can't escape using Mozilla's Firefox web browser completely yet.

This should not be shocking news, but it is a bit disconcerting to Google fans like myself. I'm hoping that 2014 will usher more universal support for Google's Chrome web browser, but I understand that these large entities are entrenched in using older PC hardware and software applications for stability and long term support. This is not to say that Mozilla's Firefox is antiquated compared to Google's Chrome, but I have a clearer sense of the reality of the Internet and World Wide Web after this frustrating experience.

Thanks for reading.