PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu booting problems

giridhar2
August 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Core 2 duo, 2 GB RAM, windows 7 PC.

Installed iso file and pendrive installation file. Successfully selected the iso file from pendrive. In the BIOS, i changed USB drive to primary boot device. It started booting but it is stuck. Kindly see the picture attached and advice please. I am not good at installing OS and am not a tech geek at all. Kindly explain in a way u wud,to a dumb person. Thank you in advance!

PS: please pardon if i posted n the wrong section.

GwL3eNC
August 27th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Hello,

i dont understand you completely. what means Successfully selected the iso file from pendrive? On which system have you created the bootabe pendrive?
Windows? Have you done it like this http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

giridhar2
August 28th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Hello,

i dont understand you completely. what means Successfully selected the iso file from pendrive? On which system have you created the bootabe pendrive?
Windows? Have you done it like this http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

These are the files i downloaded: Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.3.9 which i clicked and installed on my USB. I selected "ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-i386" from my Hard Drive on PC and clicked 'create' button. It completed the process. I went to BIOS and changed the boot option to be able to boot from USB as the primary BOOT device. I saw the purple screen even, with those white dots. Then screen changed to black and ended with what i have attached here.

Hope i am clear to you. I need help. Please ask any details you might need to resolve this problem. Tx a ton for your reply !!

Regards

giridhar2
August 28th, 2013, 05:34 AM
I would like to add that i am not installing ubuntu on my hard drive as i want to try using ubuntu...

giridhar2
August 29th, 2013, 07:52 AM
i successfully ran Ubuntu 13.04 from my Pendrive. There were problems running version 12. 13.04 ran smoothly.. Ubuntu does not have drives mentioned as D:, E: etc, i was for a moment stunned not to see those drives, but i could locate all my files.. The existing printer was unrecognized by Ubuntu. & so was the internet connectivity. Any help on those two topics please?

I thank sincerely for your replies & help !!
Regards

Dennis N
August 29th, 2013, 07:58 AM
In Settings is a printer setup dialog to add a printer - did you use that?

Dennis N
August 29th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Internet connectivity - are you talking about wireless or ethernet? What steps did you take?

giridhar2
September 1st, 2013, 05:28 AM
In Settings is a printer setup dialog to add a printer - did you use that?

Oh !! I did not see that option. Basically,i was little afraid because i have never used 2 OS on single PC. lol... THough i am laughing, i still have slight fear that i would damage some files etc..hahaha. anyway, i will check that out.

Internet connectivity - are you talking about wireless or ethernet? What steps did you take?

I use ethernet on my PC. I have router for my iPad. I did not take any steps as i do not know what to do.

Kindly guide me !! Tx in advance !

giridhar2
September 2nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
Finding difficulty in installing Canon LBP2900 on ubuntu 13.04. google gives links that are for ubuntu version 12 and many links dont work. please help !

giridhar2
September 4th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I want to thank al the readers and especially, Dennis N, for his time , patience and guidance.

I successfully installed ubuntu 13.04 from USB, in my Windows 7 PC. Now, i have a dual boot. Had difficulty in connecting to internet. I played around with the IP address settings. It keeps getting disconnected though. But i go to settings and change IPv4 settings from manual to automatic DHCP & it gets connected.

Now, the only worry is to get drivers and install them for Canon LBP 2900 printer. It fails to download properly..