PDA

View Full Version : GNOME Developers Will Remove Middle-Click Paste!

Linuxratty
August 27th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I hate developers. :evil:
Why do they keep removing functions users like?
* KIll double pane in file manager.
* Kill right click
* Kill stick stuff on task bar.
* Kill do cool visual effects with task bar.
* Kill certain themes.
* Decide their desktop has to look a certain way and @*$&&?* the users.
And this is just a brief summery!
I just don't get it.

The GNOME developers are preparing something that will get Linux users to reach for the pitchforks and take justice into their own hands.

Not everyone was happy about the decision to remove right-clicking on the GNOME desktop, but people adapted by circumventing this “feature”.

The GNOME developers now plan to remove the middle-click as a paste option and replace it with something a lot less bourgeois. According to a commit on this matter, it will be used to “start selections, and provide text contextual menus (such as word definitions, sharing, etc.).”
http://news.softpedia.com/news/GNOME-Developers-Hate-the-Mouse-Remove-Middle-Click-Paste-378370.shtm

buzzingrobot
August 27th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Why do they keep removing functions users like?

They can and do because it's their software, not the users. They write it. Some people like it, some people don't. That's the way it goes.

Users like or dislike different things, so it isn't appropriate to assume that all users like and dislike the same features.

I don't use middle click, never put or want icons on my desktop, and usually manipulate files in a terminal. So, the things Gnome has eliminated have little impact here. So, if they, say, put icons on the desktop I couldn't remove, then I'd be annoyed. YMMV, of course.

(I also suspect that if elimination of a feature decreases the maintenance and bug-fixing load, that scores point in the Gnome team. Like other FOSS efforts, they aren't blessed with a surplus of developers.)

LQhADzm
August 27th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Try KDE instead?

montag dp
August 27th, 2013, 02:25 PM
If this actually happens, that would be it for me. I like to use the keyboard and the mouse when I interact with my computer. Why take away something so basic and useful? Is it really that much of a burden to maintain a basic feature which has been there for years?

Anyone want to predict how this would affect Unity? I'm sure Cinnamon would retain the feature since they've forked the Gnome 3 base anyway, but isn't Unity still quite dependent on Gnome 3?

tgalati4
August 27th, 2013, 03:32 PM
If they all develop on Mac's then they don't have middle buttons to worry about.

Linuxratty
August 27th, 2013, 04:04 PM
If this actually happens, that would be it for me. I like to use the keyboard and the mouse when I interact with my computer. Why take away something so basic and useful? Is it really that much of a burden to maintain a basic feature which has been there for years?

As do I..I'm really a point and click person.
I'm definately looking at other desktops for the white box. Classic Gnome is on this one.

Mr. Picklesworth
August 27th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Please do wait and see what it's going to be used for :)

https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/Selections

It could be really cool, and as you can see nobody is rushing into it. Chances are there'll be a gsettings key to bring back the old behaviour. That usually happens for things that need a clean, steady transition.

Relatedly, where are you getting this right click thing from? GNOME 3.8 has a context menu on the desktop, and I don't think it's absent anywhere else…

montag dp
August 27th, 2013, 05:36 PM

https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/Selections

It could be really cool, and as you can see nobody is rushing into it. Chances are there'll be a gsettings key to bring back the old behaviour. That usually happens for things that need a clean, steady transition.

Relatedly, where are you getting this right click thing from? GNOME 3.8 has a context menu on the desktop, and I don't think it's absent anywhere else…As long as I can still paste easily with a mouse click I'd be happy. I'd prefer a single click, but I suppose two would be okay. It's just so convenient to highlight to copy and then middle click to paste.

Linuxratty
August 28th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Relatedly, where are you getting this right click thing from? GNOME 3.8 has a context menu on the desktop, and I don't think it's absent anywhere else…

Testing elementary OS ..Can't right click on the desktop.

lykwydchykyn
August 28th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Testing elementary OS ..Can't right click on the desktop.

IIRC elemntary OS's desktop is a custom fork of GNOME, not GNOME. Their design ethos is essentially simplify, simplify, simplify.

If you don't like this, why not use a different environment? Not all developers are about taking away features....

malspa
August 28th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I'll wait and see. People are always ripping these devs, then sometimes I find out that I actually like what they've done.

I'd rather see developers trying new things, not saying "This is how things have always been and that's how they're always gonna stay, dang it!"

Keeps things interesting. Also gives people a reason to complain about stuff they get for free and really don't have to use anyway, which I find entertaining.

buzzingrobot
August 28th, 2013, 05:44 PM
IIRC elemntary OS's desktop is a custom fork of GNOME, not GNOME. Their design ethos is essentially simplify, simplify, simplify.

If you don't like this, why not use a different environment? Not all developers are about taking away features....

EOS isn't a fork, Gnome or otherwise. the Gnome that's in there is the Gnome that's in Ubuntu.

But, yes, people who don't like X or Y or Z should just move on to something they do like. (More likely, just stay with what they're already using.) The assertion: "I don't like it, therefore it is bad." is false.

Now, I'm going to go to a vegan deli and pitch a fit because they don't serve cheeseburgers.