PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen during boot up after Steam succesfully installed

David_Yama
August 27th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Ok, so I installed Steam, get prompt that it lacks dependancies, so followed this pages advice:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/260813/trying-to-install-steam-error-you-are-missing-the-following-32-bit-libraries-a

Followed command: sudo apt-get install ia32-libs and installed this package, which installed correctly. Then I reinstalled Steam 32bit as one post recommended, and it succeeded in installation. Steam worked fine, did a reboot,
and then after just a few moments of Ubuntu startup loading the screen goes black and the hard drive stops processing. So, frozen on the black screen with no HD response of any kind.

Information on my system:

Dell Inspiron 17 N7010
Intel i3 2.4ghz processor
Ubuntu 12.04 64bit operating system

This has happened twice now, and last time it didn't seem like I had any option but to reinstall the operating system entirely.

Can someone please please please tell me what I can do to fix the operating system and get Steam to work? Let me know what other information you need, I'm so new to Linux :(