PDA

View Full Version : How to move window buttons on to the top?

serg2
August 26th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Hi, I am using ubuntu 12.04 default Unity theme, I would like to disable the window title completely and instead move all buttons in title (minimize,maximize,close) onto the top, the same way as it became when you maximize the window, but it I want buttons to be forever there, how to achieve that? please help.

PS. I found out how to remove window titles, just need now to move buttons on the top.

Frogs Hair
August 26th, 2013, 11:34 PM
That is not something that can be done with a gui or command . it would entail re-writing some Ubuntu code and though probably not impossible it would be an ambitious project. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/unity

http://askubuntu.com/questions/28470/how-do-i-build-unity-from-source

serg2
August 27th, 2013, 06:45 PM
really?!
I dont think it needs additional hardcode changes, there should a possibility to leave "min,max,close" buttons on the top as when you maximize the window.

SweetAurora
August 27th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Sorry, but when it comes to the user end, Ubuntu is designed to be fixed and uncustomizable. So to do a simple "button replacement" will in fact entail a rewrite of some, if not most of Unity's code.

serg2
August 27th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Do you mean that when I restore original window size from Maximized size - Unity completely changes window objects behavior?

BTW, I thought that it could be customized through skin theme files /usr/share/themes/Ambiance/metacity-1/metacity-theme-1.xml

SweetAurora
August 27th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Yes. In fact, the maximized window aspect of Unity uses it's own seperate theme and code to manage a window in maximized mode as opposed to a standard window that sits on the desktop with it's window border around it. Yet despite being different pieces of code, they are inherently tied together and share some code as they after all manage the window borders.

serg2
August 27th, 2013, 07:38 PM
ok got you, thanks.