PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] autohide the panel in 12.04

junglejuice
August 26th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Hi,
I'm running 12.04.02 LTS with stanard Unity and I'd really like to hide the top panel. To be clear I'm NOT trying to hide the launcher. I don't want the panel to go away completely, I just want it to disappear until I move my mouse over the top of the screen. I've removed the global menu system from the panel, now I'd just like the panel to autohide and only appear when I mouse over the top of my screen.
I'd really appreciate it if I could get some help with this. Thanks :)

Frogs Hair
August 26th, 2013, 04:36 PM
The top panel in Unity cannot be set to auto-hide. You may want to consider installing gnome-session-fallback which has that feature and replacing Unity with a dock application . I am logged into my XFCE Session with hidden panel and Dockbarx. (see below)

junglejuice
August 26th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks Frogs Hair, I thought that might be the case :(
rather unfortunate little design flaw for unity, i was kinda hoping to keep unity as my main DE (or whatever it is?).
yip I've also got XFCE installed (for those moments when i can't take the unity panel burning into my retina any longer).

serg2
August 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM
I would like to have it(top auto-hide) aswell :) good feature.

BTW,

I've removed the global menu system from the panel

do you mean that removed windows titles with buttons? if so then how do you min,max,close,move windows? using shortcuts? :)

junglejuice
August 27th, 2013, 01:57 PM
do you mean that removed windows titles with buttons? if so then how do you min,max,close,move windows? using shortcuts? :)

Hi serg2,
I meant, I removed the file, edit, etc application menus from the top panel and restored them to the application windows more info here http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/tips-and-tricks-ubuntu-after-installation-ubuntu-1204.htm#Disable-Enable-Global-Menu
:)

serg2
August 27th, 2013, 06:10 PM
ahh, got you :)
well, I dont think it is useful, I like Unity style by placing menus on the top panel - it saves ~20 pixels in vertical plane. More over, I would like to disable window title completely and move "min,max,close" buttons onto the top for non-maximized windows - it will save ~15 pixels more, but still cannot find a way how to do that, Ican disable title, but cannot move buttons.

junglejuice
August 28th, 2013, 08:52 AM
hi serg2,
yes so many areas for customization (or dare i say, "improvement") ;)
we're kinda straying a little offTopic, but nonetheless the feedback is very much appreciated :)