PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Unable to install git package

hema2
August 26th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Hi Kubuntu Team,
I am new to Kubuntu. I am trying to install git package from terminal using the command sudo apt-get install git
When I run this command from terminal I am getting the error unable to locate the package. Can anyone please help me out in solving this error.
Thanks in advance.

steeldriver
August 26th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums

Let's start with what version of kubuntu you are running - if you're not sure open a terminal and use the commands

uname -a

cat /etc/lsb-release

SeijiSensei
August 26th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Usually that error means that the installer cannot connect to the repositories. Have you installed any other software from the command line besides git? Did that fail as well?

Look in /etc/apt/sources.list and see what server(s) you are using. Can you ping those servers by name?

Perhaps you just need to run "sudo apt-get update" to tell Ubuntu to get the most recent package lists from from the repositories before running "sudo apt-get install git".

hema2
August 27th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Hi steeldriver
here are the specifciations:
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 13.04
Release: 13.04
Codename: raring

for kernel version I ran the command uname -r
3.8.0-19-generic

hema2
August 27th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Hi SeijiSensei ,
It is giving me the same error whatever may be the package I am trying to install. "unable to locate package git " I am getting when I tried with the command
"sudo apt-get install git" . If I run "sudo apt-get update" I am getting errors like " Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/raring-security/Release.gpg "

steeldriver
August 27th, 2013, 12:06 PM
It sounds like there's a problem with your internet connection, or a proxy that's blocking access to the repositories