PDA

View Full Version : Missing Mint LMDE Check out SolydXK distro

orb9220
August 26th, 2013, 09:03 AM
SolydX and SolydK are Debian based distributions with the Xfce and KDE desktop.
SolydXK aims to be simple to use, providing an environment that is both stable and secure.

A bit of history

You find SolydXK’s roots in another great distribution: Linux Mint.

There were two distributions which I liked very much: Linux Mint KDE and Linux Mint Debian Edition. There were once rumors that the two would merge, but unfortunately that didn’t happen. So, I decided to make my own distribution. First as a tutorial in the forum, but later it became known as “The unofficial LMDE KDE”. When Linux Mint dropped their LMDE Xfce edition, I started that one from scratch and “The unofficial LMDE Xfce” was born.

Both these editions were mainly created with the help of the community. Without them they simply wouldn’t exist. Especially with the Xfce edition where the community decided which software was to be included and which software not. So, these distributions are really community driven.

When it became clear that the unofficial editions were not going to become official I decided to take the next step and let these great distributions stand on their own two feet and the unofficials got their proper names: SolydX and SolydK.

SolydXK will not forget it’s roots. SolydXK and Linux Mint closely work together to make our distributions even better.

With the SolydXK August release 2013.08 decided to give it a whirl. As was intrigued about a rolling release. As was getting a bit tired doing Clean Installs of my Mint KDE every 6 months. Based on Debian and thought may be for me.

The Install was problem free. Nice on overwriting pre-existing linux installations. Is in the partition manager just right click the old root location and will set it as root and toggle format. If you have a separate /home like my case and right click set as /home and doesn't toggle the format so leaves it alone.

Everything worked out of the box just like Mint KDE,Cinnamon did on my system. The live CD gives you a boot with or without plymouth splash which is nice as makes some systems hang on boot with plymouth boot splash enabled.

The KDE release gives you 4.10.5 and Kernel 3.9.1

For Xfce lovers is SolydX

The default start menu has been replaced by the Whisker menu.
This menu has a built-in search function, and you can easily change your favorite programs list.
The network manager Wicd has been replaced by Network Manager.
Network Manager supports mobile broadband by default.

SolydXK Multi DVD

For those who’d like to try them all, we’ve released a SolydXK Multi DVD.
The DVD consists of all five distributions:

SolydX 64 and 32-bits
SolydK 64 and 32-bits
SolydK Back Office

So to desktop found I had to re-install a couple of programs and do some theme tweaking,etc.
And this disto's had a few apps I haven't seen in other distro's.
More default serious photographer type programs in graphics. And PlayonLinux and Steam installed by default.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2875/9585773799_9afee988f7_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/9585773799/)
SolydK KDE Desktop Dual Displays Aug. 24th 2013 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/9585773799/) by Orbmiser (http://www.flickr.com/people/orb9220/), on Flickr

So far if wanting to try out a rolling release tho not true rolling as they use Update packs like done with Mint's LMDE edition.
But been running and testing and finding it smooth,snappy and problem free just like my Mint 15 KDE was.

su:bhatta
August 28th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Any idea about: How easy is it to install AMD Fglrx drivers? Same way as in Debian: Add Contrib & non-free etc?

orb9220
August 28th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Any idea about: How easy is it to install AMD Fglrx drivers? Same way as in Debian: Add Contrib & non-free etc?

Sorry I don't as using the default open drivers on my Ati 4350 on dual 22" LCD displays.
You could search about it or ask over at the Debian (http://forums.debian.net/index.php?sid=79ffad71dc547ced92678f935fe6c7b2) or SolydXK (http://forums.solydxk.com/) forums.

August 29th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the pointers.

Debian forums is out of bounds for me coz they won't let me register as the dynamic IP of my provider is well known for spamming :(

I've tried a few OS with KDE( Sabayon, Openmamba, Chakra) but have mostly failed due to my Radeon 6480 card. Not their fault i should say, there must be workarounds but never had the time to dig too deep!

I guess this one should work as Debian Wheezy works for me and I know how to install Fglrx in Debian!

buzzingrobot
September 2nd, 2013, 02:26 PM
Recently had something of a KDE conversion moment using Netrunner Enigma. SolydK ran well on my hardware when I checked it out. I like the notion of a rollling releases based on monthly pushes of new stuff only after it's been vetted. If I can stay current with the apps I need, I'd consider it. However, it did not appear to use the Ubuntu font rendering patches, so that's a sticking point for me.

mamamia88
September 2nd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the pointers.

Debian forums is out of bounds for me coz they won't let me register as the dynamic IP of my provider is well known for spamming :(

I've tried a few OS with KDE( Sabayon, Openmamba, Chakra) but have mostly failed due to my Radeon 6480 card. Not their fault i should say, there must be workarounds but never had the time to dig too deep!

I guess this one should work as Debian Wheezy works for me and I know how to install Fglrx in Debian!

You might want to consider a vpn. I pay $40 a year with private internet access and quite like it. With all the NSA revelations etc it might be a good investment

September 3rd, 2013, 05:35 AM
You might want to consider a vpn. I pay $40 a year with private internet access and quite like it. With all the NSA revelations etc it might be a good investment

A good idea no doubt, but I am already paying nearly $15 per month for my internet, and VPN's are pretty costly as is static IP's here. For now, am not considering more investments for my home network.

I'd rather not be a part of debian forums till then !

zhenhua
May 26th, 2014, 03:39 PM

It is absolutely an easy job for SolydX to do.

I have an ATI 6990m video card, the installed Device Driver Manager help me find the proper catalyst software and get is installed.

So, give this distributon a shot.