PDA

View Full Version : User name & password

James_S_Jones
August 25th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04.
I have got to a screen which asks for a username & password. As I have never established a username or password what do I do.
I thought by entering my name and any password that that would be accepted as it was the first time but it is coming up with 'incorrect password'
How do I proceed ?
James

hakermania
August 25th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Hello James_S_Jones!

During the installation of Ubuntu, when you were asked about your username you were also asked to type your password, twice.

After reboot and when you boot into Ubuntu, you are expected to give that username and password.

If you are installing Ubuntu now, then you are simply expected to give your username and password, but make sure that you give the password twice, that may be your issue.

James_S_Jones
August 25th, 2013, 11:47 AM
The problem is that unless I have short term memory loss I have never been asked for a username or password !

hakermania
August 25th, 2013, 11:50 AM
You've never seen this screen?

http://draalin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/draalin-how-to-install-ubuntu-desktop-13-04-raring-ringtail-8.png

Dennis N
August 25th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04.
I have got to a screen which asks for a username & password. As I have never established a username or password what do I do.
I thought by entering my name and any password that that would be accepted as it was the first time but it is coming up with 'incorrect password'
How do I proceed ?
James

Is this the same install on the Dell 2400 you were doing in this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2170031)? Just wondering.

A user's name and password are established during the installation (screenshot, post #4) (or later when adding a user). Every human user has them. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the confirmation password is not matching. Linux is case sensitive, so that is one cause.

If the problem persists, go back to the first password entry box and you can probably redo it.